Troop trains plus other unusual S&C workings

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Does anybody have any details of unusual loco/traffic workings over the S&C in the 60s. I'm told that the occasional V2 worked up to Carlisle on freights from the Leeds area and that there may have been troop train movements from the North/North East via Garsdale, Hawes and over to Catterick Camp. Any photographic evidence would be more than welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I can't help you other than to question the veracity of the claim for troop movements to Catterick Camp via the S&C?

Catterick Camp had it's own rail link from the East Coast Mainline (closed by some dodgy ticket counting shenanigans during the 60s) . In more recent times the remaining section of the Wensleydale branch has been used to move military equipment to Redmire and then detrained for road movement to Catterick but of course that is again via the ECML at Northallerton. Indeed the Wensleydale branch only survives because of that military traffic that sustained it when the quarrying of limestone for the steel industry of Teesside ceased in 1992.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rumblestripe. You may well be right, and judging by the lack of responses you probably are. It seems strange though that, what is now the Wenslydale railway, being as it was a direct link between the S&C and the ECML was only used by a few local passenger trains and the odd pick up goods, particularly if engineering work was taking place elsewhere. Still it's only an excuse to run further varieties of locos on my layout.

• RMweb Gold

There were troop trains on the S&C from Warcop which was on the former NER line from Darlington to Penrith. I have seen a picture somewhere of one of these coming onto the S&C at Appleby with two NBL type two's on the front

• RMweb Premium

There were troop trains on the S&C from Warcop which was on the former NER line from Darlington to Penrith. I have seen a picture somewhere of one of these coming onto the S&C at Appleby with two NBL type two's on the front

Thanks Russ P, any further details would be much appreciated. I'd forgot ton Warcop, I used to pass it on the A66 and yes there was a rail link. Anybody have any further info on Warcop?

Archived