Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hi vis

I started with BR in 1987 and got at the time one of the short HV vests with rubber buttons.  I had in succession a reflective Velcroed one that was still short, and a "tabard" type similar to a waistcoat but a bit longer.  I remember being issued a full orange weatherproof anorak in 1995, which (as I found out when caught by a shower on the way to my PTS course) didn't have a hood, as these were considered to impair hearing or the ability to look over one's shoulder. 

For the people that did significant trackside work (not me), full HV tops and trousers were pretty much universal by the late 90s, but hard hats didn't come in until a few years after that. This was with Research in Derby - other regions and departments may have been a bit different though. 

Interesting comment about being taken to task for using company hi-vis while cycling.  My employer now allows anyone to cycle to work to make use of a hi-vis even if they have no job need for it.  Makes sense really, quite apart from care for your staff and encouraging cycling, the employer also suffers financially if an employee is in an accident. 

Interesting comment about being taken to task for using company hi-vis while cycling.  My employer now allows anyone to cycle to work to make use of a hi-vis even if they have no job need for it.  Makes sense really, quite apart from care for your staff and encouraging cycling, the employer also suffers financially if an employee is in an accident. 

Employers have a common law duty of care towards employees, as well as specific provisions in legislation, which in my time in BR in latter days, had begun to be accepted as including the relative safety of their journeys to and from work, particularly where these involved shifts or extended hours. Grey area to some extent. Had I better knowledge at the time, I could have argued that in my defence, when pulled up on it, but it wasn't exactly a capital offence, even then!

Archived