Steam operated heritage railways in Portugal?

Gordon A

Hi Gordon, I think you'd be drawing a blank.  As far as I know, there are only a couple of serviceable steam locos, 0186 on the broad gauge and E214 on the metre gauge.  There were regular bg excursions up the Douro Valley on Summer Saturdays (see here http://www.discoverdourovalley.com/content/comboio-hist%C3%B3rico-linha-do-douro/douE6228E3C723442204) but the website is out of date and I'm unaware that they still run.

It might be worth contacting CP for information - I'll PM you an e-mail address (which might be out of date).

Hi Gordon, I think you'd be drawing a blank. As far as I know, there are only a couple of serviceable steam locos, 0186 on the broad gauge and E214 on the metre gauge. There were regular bg excursions up the Douro Valley on Summer Saturdays (see here http://www.discoverdourovalley.com/content/comboio-hist%C3%B3rico-linha-do-douro/douE6228E3C723442204) but the website is out of date and I'm unaware that they still run.

It might be worth contacting CP for information - I'll PM you an e-mail address (which might be out of date).

At present there are no serviceable steam loco's in Portugal. The regular summer Saturdays Only Regua-Tua "Comboio Historico" which was booked steam, has been English Electric diesel 1424 in original blue livery for the 2014 season.

At present CP cannot afford to overhaul Henschals 0186 and 0187 for the "Comboio Historico" tourist trains.

As for Metre gauge E214, very unlikely to steam again in Portugal as there is nowhere for it to run since the narrow gauge lines radiating off the Douro Valley were lifted several years ago in the name of modernisation, but never relaid! Closure by stealth methinks...

The only narrow gauge line still open and operating is whats left of the Vouga system between Aveiro and Espinho via Sernada de Vouga.

Whether steam returns for the 2015 season, only CP can answer this!

Archived