Bizarre Behaviour

Simond

Good afternoon all.

I was recently given a Zimo 645 sound decoder which I installed in my 57xx pannier.

I'm not hugely pleased with the sound project, so, having set the loco number, I downloaded all the defaults on my JMRI, and set about changing some settings, to try to improve matters.

At this point it all went pear-shaped. The loco refused to respond to the programming track. I concluded that this was a programming track issue as the layout is getting to the point where there are a few glitches.

I should have checked another loco but I didn't, so checked everything, until I eventually set up a separate bit of track directly connected to the P & Q outputs of my Lenz command station. I did check this and it works with another loco.

In the end, there was nothing wrong with the layout, it seems that the decoder simply refuses to respond to programming commands of any sort, but bizarrely, it works entirely normally in operation, including functions, speed & direction control and sound. I could live with it, but, I'd prefer to change volumes, etc, normally.

I don't generally use PoM programming, but it did a cv8=8 which seemed to be accepted, but returning to the programming track, still not working.

Ideas & suggestions very welcome!

Thx

Simon

Or it could be that there's not enought power on the programme track to program some sound decoders. I have this problem with my PowerPro system with sound decoders (ok for non sound), so had to resort to PoM. I now have a SPROG which I now use for all my programming.

Ray.

Hi

Thanks both:

Is it locked? I can't tell, because it doesn't even have the good manners to reply with its address. When I say "it doesn't respond" I really mean it! I just get an "ERR02" which signifies no reply from the decoder - you'd get this with nothing on the track, or a dead decoder, but it really isn't dead! I could try setting the unlock using PoM just to see, but I doubt it. And it's all in a box until my mood improves!

Regarding insufficient power - I don't see why this should be the case - the other loco I tried out on the track was my Ixion Fowler, which has the same Mx645 sound decoder. I also checked my 13xx which is not sound equipped, and this too works fine.

Thanks again

Simon

Hi

Thanks both:

Is it locked? I can't tell, because it doesn't even have the good manners to reply with its address. When I say "it doesn't respond" I really mean it! I just get an "ERR02" which signifies no reply from the decoder - you'd get this with nothing on the track, or a dead decoder, but it really isn't dead! I could try setting the unlock using PoM just to see, but I doubt it. And it's all in a box until my mood improves!

Regarding insufficient power - I don't see why this should be the case - the other loco I tried out on the track was my Ixion Fowler, which has the same Mx645 sound decoder. I also checked my 13xx which is not sound equipped, and this too works fine.

Thanks again

Simon

Simon,

This sort of thing can be so frustrating.

Where did you get your decoder from? What is it that you are 'not impressed' with? (It's not one of mine, where ever you bought it - I haven't produced a 57xx project yet, recording next month)

You can only 'unlock' using POM, and of course you will not get replies from the decoder using POM as this is 'write only' mode. Unlock is CV144 = 0, but a locked decoder is unlikely to be the case, and it would not stop POM working anyway. (If the project author has set the decoder lock, CV8 = 8 will not remove it - it will ensure that it active!).

You mention ERR02, which I assume means you have a Lenz system. In my experience this usually suggests poor contact with the decoder, for one reason or another. That your system works with other decoders is no guarantee that it will work with all decoders, even of the same type. This could be due to manufacturing tolerances or variancies in the installation.

Have you tried the decoder in another loco?

Sometimes the pins of an 8 pin plug can extend though the socket and short on metal objects below.

Poor contact with the track or pick-ups can easily cause this problem. Programming tracks use very low current, hence why they are safer to use with a new installation.

I've programmed hundreds of ZIMO decoders, and I've come across a few which exhibit this even with my PowerCab progamming track.. Most of those few would respond to POM, or repeated attempts.

Since you have the decoder out of the loco, I would suggest trying to communicate with the decoder by connecting programming track leads to the red and black wires (or the pins these are connected to if an 8 pin plug is attached). You only need to connect to these two, but make sure you don't short any of the other connections.

If you cannot programme directly to the decoder, then I suggest you send it back. Any good dealer should be happy to replace it.

Hope you have more success.

Kind regards,

Paul

Paul

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I'd rather not name names, as I haven't had the opportunity to discuss it directly with the vendor, however, I'd be surprised if he'll accept it back as the wire to the capacitor broke off and I had to cut & pull back the cover to reattach it.

I'm not very happy with the whistles, nor the drain cocks. I'm particularly unhappy with the "distant voices" that can be heard in the background of several of the soundtracks. I have a Lionheart pannier, and I wanted a different sound project, as the locos are different ages, and different, though closely related, classes. But the Lionheart seems to me to be a far more professional set of recordings.

So I tried your suggestion (I have had the "dirty contact" issue before) of direct connection as you correctly surmise it isn't finally fitted, as the speaker I ordered doesn't fit, so I'm waiting for the sugar cube to arrive - unfortunately with no happier result. I left the chip installed and croc-clipped directly into the back of the plungers. Again, it drives perfectly, but no programming response.

And I remain very happy with the motor control - I've used Zimo decoders for many years, and they are better now than the (obviously non-sound) ones I fitted previously.

I'll discuss with the vendor - he might feel that Zimo will replace it, and I hope we'll be able to sort it out.

I would mention that other sound projects from the same source have been entirely satisfactory.

Good luck with your 57xx, and, I'm still waiting for you to do the 13xx. :)

Thanks again

Simon

Archived