North Cranford

M.I.B

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, railtec-models said:

Thanks all. Are there any images of the "return to ..." brandings specifically on the Cs? If I were to consider including them in a new pack then I'd need to get a good feel for what they look like, as well as any critical dimensions within which they would need to fit.

I have been looking through my books without any success so far, however have put a couple of messages out to try and find more info.  From the looks of it the "Return to Calne" branding appears to be the most common, but its unclear as to whether that is in the standard size with "Return to" on one panel and "Calne" on the next, or if they are above each other.  (or for that matter if "Return to" was reduced in size in the same way that Siphon C was).   Hopefully I should get an answer soon...

edit: I should have added, no idea about how plausible it is, but a custom "Return to xxxxx" for siphons would be really useful, given how many Siphons were branded with return to somewhere.  Particularly useful once the Accurascale Gs arrive. 

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

7830 "Phear Manor" once again takes it's annual place, supervised by Winston:

jsjsj.jpg.413ad05d55f82f1ab7998c1f30bb5232.jpg

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.   Titfield Thunderbolt is on, and the log burner is aglow....

On this Christmas Eve I hope that you (and your folk) are happy and healthy.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Happy New Year to you all.

The Dapol Manors are here in march ( apparantly) so that's good news.   From my pre-orders that just leaves the LORIOT, 9400 and the 6 wheeler coach to become S&T stock,   What is the next thing to tempt me to part with cash (other than carpets, Dulux products and bathroom fittings....?

I have almost finished my SIPHON C.    In hindsight I should have done more to hide the centre join , but I slightly lost the will with the build and it's definitly on the list for some corrective work.  I will add the promised Hornby wheels at the same time too.  The Ratio ones have "tightened up" despite using brass axle pockets.    But it has got me modelling again so no bad thing.  Weedkiller train work continues next.

14851.jpg.4dbbd91db25cd21cbbdf33b384c4ac2a.jpg

1485 is one of the later wide (standard width) bodied C's, and one which didn't get branding, either in it's early life, or as one of those who saw out their last days dedicated to moving Harris' products out of Calne.     Hence it's utility for me is increased.

14852.jpg.317ba9492ddb64c276977a530f11632a.jpg14853.jpg.519d1ba74f07c94bfa4b14c540bf92f8.jpg

Body was painted with Pheonix brushing enamel, roof is Halford's matt black rattle can with a squirt of Rustoleum blackboard paint over the top.  This gives the nice crinkly effect as long as the coat is light and thin.  Once lettered with "HMRS Pressfix" a couple of coats of Testors Dullcote was used as usual.  Weathering will follow the filling work on the centre section (centre door sills if you haven't noticed).

These are odd vans to letter as they were in reality - they break some of the GW "rules"  early ones had end letters, and often the SIPHON branding was omitted (apparantly).  I made it fit so I'm happy to have branding on there.

14854.jpg.bf27c03e31a6508ffc050c3a082bacac.jpg

I have no idea how I ever ended up with an empty MACAW B box, but with the aid of a pair of scissors, the moulded plastic liner has been tailored to suit the van.

Not super proud of the outcome but it can be rectified when more mojo is available.  But at least the mojo has returned.

I hope that you are all happy and healthy.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I turn my back to decorate and floor the sewing room/upstairs office/modelling room.......and Toplights finally make an appearance on the radar in RTR form.

Definitely a set of 6 of the shorter, lower-er commuter ones in brown for me - suits NC down to the ground - perfect for  "Maidenhead to Aldgate" etc.

And a promise of some mainline corridor Toplights later in the year.   I don't think I will be buying those in rakes, however, a few as fillers and to add that special GWR "random/harlequin/mix-and-match" look to an express train.

Time to scour the cupboards and see what i can sell off to raise some funds........

It was Groundhog Day yesterday.  Plenty of badgers here, and GrundDachs Day is where this comes from, on the feast of Candlemass...... (Dachs - badger    dachshund - badger hound - small and angry little beasts bred for going down setts.....)       So what was the outcome - I saw plenty of shadows just after dawn even if i didn't see any badgers.  That means summer is still a way off.

Stay warm and safe and dream of Toplights.......

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Welcome back everyone.

Fair few photos missing - seems to be a random selection that have disappeared.  Never mind.

There have been some changes to NC while we were off the airwaves - I've changed the era to BR Blue - a period I especially like and remember well.  Steam era stock has been selling well on Ebay and the Post Office and Royal Mail have been busy as a result.

Hope you are all happy and healthy.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, M.I.B said:

- I've changed the era to BR Blue -

What sort of April Fool do you think me to be........?

Stay safe.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A simple task split down into a couple of sessions. This makes a nice break from decorating....

A recent Hornby "long corridor clerestory" with "Garter Logo" - little too early even with a bit of licience.    This one has evaded capture for a few years- it was always slated for this work, but never seemed to surface when reviews of the stock box took place.

These models are flat in profile because the panelling is part of the decals.  So Ideal to show a clerestory in much later life covered in overplating.

Railmatch spray can Coach Brown, HMRS decals and Testors all over before the glazing went back in.

hhhh.jpg.9ae835fafa729c2bd22723fd81145c75.jpg

This is the only clerestory with foot boards, and the roof is only "grubby" as opposed to my usual "super sooty".  Both make for a bit of variety withing my carriage stock.

iiiiiiiiiiiii.jpg.98ed2bff6f01af2d722e2b3435629a29.jpg

I did notice that there is a full rake of these long corridor clerestories in the box as well.  I may just leave them as they are and run them as a set behing a Saint or Lode Star with her original tender top.

I hope that you are all happy and healthy.  Stay safe.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Following on from above I did revisit the stock boxes to look at the rake of "long" clerestories from Hornby.  They are all "late" logo, which has prompted a rethink.  These 5 individually numbered coaches would not have run in reality.  Whilst I do apply a fair amount of Rule 1, the chances of a full train of matching late logo clerestories  in the late 1940s is too much to expect.

This set will have to be broken up and diluted with items from the  "pool" of unallocated coaching stock, which is now larger than the formed sets.     D130s, Collet Compos, C68s and 76s.........all used to break up uniform formations to give that special GWR randomness to passenger work.

I think i have just publically convinced myself as to what to do..........  Make two sets out of one.   Have my cake and eat it so to speak.  Fruit only thanks - I have never liked sponge cake/carrot cake/ chocolate/pineapple upside down cake etc.    But I will always love a fruit cake.

I am doing some modelling, mainly items to put on eBay - the new Dapol express Toplights won't be cheap and I would like a few.   The suburbans are now all paid for by the same method.

Hope you are all happy and healthy.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hinton and Compton Manors are expected in next month.  I have been without Manors for 24 months or so, but in this time I did order up replacement plates to turn these two into Dunley and Anthony (or vice versa).  These were the two Mainline models sold off when the Dapol announcement was made.

Nothing really much to report - a couple of Ebay sales made, Toplight suburbans (non-corridor) (Dapol) are now paid for so I'm working towards funding 4 mainline toplights (Dapol again).   Just like everyone else I have no idea what diagrams or prices they will be, but in conjunction with the post above, I broke up the rake of "long" clerestories by the inclusion of some Bill Bedford sided RTR and these exress toplights.    All a paper exercise, and I do look forward to setting them up in 3d.

In the meantime summer has hit the Sunrise Coast, and the weeds are loving it.........busy weekend ahead.  I hope you are all happy and healthy.

Edited by M.I.B
Poor typing
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all.  Back from spending the early summer in Eastern Europe - all trees, lakes, storks, and cold pilsner......

So not much done other than some long distance Ebay sales to fund mainline toplights.  I have been crushing beer-cans for 2 years, and along with some ally offcuts, a few alloy VW Beetle engine parts and some car batteries, the fund is growning healthily after a trip to the scrap man.

It's that special "once a year time" soon and thanks to Bygone Wagons for providing me with something to treat myself with.........

aa.thumb.jpg.51f4d61e3bc820e46583bbae5dc69784.jpg

Looking more like a boxcar from the Toledo and Tacoma Railroad........... one of the MINK F fast freight vans.  Apparantly a bit like the 4700s, not ofton seen in their working role due to late shift rostering when young boys with BoxBrownies were tucked up in bed.....

ccc.thumb.jpg.e6f7ab5ae989480b3ea67f6db4afdb77.jpg

Sorry for the slight blurring - I tried to capture the rivett detailing.

in the same box was this early GRANOaaa.thumb.jpg.d104966369cd5f8873a898c7d118c00f.jpgbbbb.thumb.jpg.fd90c42e7e2da91861f0d288afd06189.jpgbbbb.thumb.jpg.fd90c42e7e2da91861f0d288afd06189.jpg

with excellent wire rail detailing.

This is one of the "late" early GRANOs.  Bygone Wagons can also provide the "early" early GRANOs as well, but being firmly based in the late 40s I have chosen this type.

ddd.thumb.jpg.e53c551f3238eb69b383a7afb226ec6d.jpg

Fitted with NEM pockets and the couplings to go in them, as well as more detailing parts to add.

I am not going to dive into finishing these - the tenders for the weedkilling train have been on the block for a while and I'm trying to be more disciplined when it comes to finishing projects.

nnnn.thumb.jpg.a85869833e719ed26fcdfbdd4e25e9f5.jpg

I am determined to revisit the failed "sides onto RTR" that went wrong in 2016 next before the Centenary Full Brake coach.........

I hope that you are all happy and healthy.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Haven't come across them before - they certainly have some interesting stuff.

Amanda puts out some great stuff that I'm sure the major manufacturers would not find viable to make. 

Fingers crossed for a CORAL next.......

My favourites so far have been the ROTANK and the CROCODILE L

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, M.I.B said:

Amanda puts out some great stuff that I'm sure the major manufacturers would not find viable to make. 

Fingers crossed for a CORAL next.......

My favourites so far have been the ROTANK and the CROCODILE L

Yes, the website is quite mouth-watering. An Insixfish would be nice...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

An Insixfish would be nice...

All gone by my time period.

I'll stick with a vote for a CORAL

and perhaps a twin tank six-wheeler milk......

Or a MICA to replace the aged Wrenn ones...........

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

and perhaps a twin tank six-wheeler milk......

I built one of these a couple of years back from the Falcon Brass kit, certainly looks different in a rake of milk tanks (particularly given they were bright red).  Still need to get some transfers commissioned for it (though they are drawn up ready to go), so if you do go for one let me know as I should be able to get a second set made) 

I should be ready to produce a small batch of O5 6 wheel siphons / Enparts vans towards the end of the year if that is of any use.  The body design is now complete, it just needs me to get round to dedicating some time to finishing off the chassis design now...

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Rich.  I knew someone on here had made one from a rare kit.  I agree that to have one in a 6 wheel milk rake would look great and break it up visually, like the ROTANK does.

Russell shows a twin tank wagon in BR days which looks like it's being used for noxious chemicals traffic - no markings on it though.  HSSE and Chemlar Code free days!

I have a whitemetal SIPHON ENPARTS 6 wheeler.  It was a project a long time ago.  I am fairly sure that the body came in a job lot.  I clearly remember shortening a Hornby LMS  6 wheeler milk van chassis to slip under it because the chassis on the kit (and the centre axle arrangement) didn't like curves.    I think there may also be a non ENPARTS 6 wheel SIPHON in the crates.  It's not listed on my stock list, but the odd item has slipped through that net before......

Edited by M.I.B
spellink
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Dapol manors have arrived.  The only correction needed is the application of some matt varnish to the safety valve bonnet which is just too shiny.

I had already bought Imperium chips and Modelmaster plates for Dunley and Anthony.  Now time to find them........

I hope that you are healthy and happy - I have finally got to the ripe old age to get my Army Pension in full.......time to enjoy it.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I struggled to remember when I last had no engines on pre-order.   It seems as if I have been waiting for one to arrive every day for the last ten years - or at least it feels like that.  In a brief administration / financial session this morning I noted that I don't have one to pony up for!   

I have a LORIOT on order along with a 6 wheel coach for modification, and funds put aside and pre-orders in for toplights of both sorts.   Quite a pleasant situation to be in going into a winter of belt tightening.

Blackberries, raspberries and mulberries are picked and turned into jam.  Apples are stewed and frozen.  It's still very hot and dry here, and there has been so very little rain for 3 months in North Essex.  Meterological autumn began yesterday so winter is on it's way - nights are drawing in, only one more motorcycle rally to attend, and thus more time for modelling.

Weedkilling train has progressed a little.  More next time.  In the meantime, I hope the regulars and new visitors remain happy and healthy.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

PROGRESS!!!!

I did a session on the weedkilling train last night and I will do another tonight:

(to recap)

Three 3500 Gallon tenders - no two alike just like the real thing (ish).  All from Ebay, some as single tenders and some with 2251s which got repaired, re-sold or broken for spares.  At least one complete hybrid joined the roster at NC as well.

aa.jpg.77282443952a6ae8ca6c0fb054480024.jpg

Coal chopped out of the top, and on one I had to nibble away at the bottom of the moulded coal pile with a scalpel.  Plastic card, pencil, steel ruler and scissors.........  All stuck  with Bostik 60 Second Superglue.  There are some tiny gaps and some slight over hangs - will sort those tonight.  

cc.jpg.25c8395aad37b5404a8b29e64bfedc82.jpg

There are not a lot of photos and drawings of these so some assumptions were made.  The tenders had plating over the bunker, but I assume not one large sheet ( size is a bit big so it would be quite floppy unless it was very thick), so I creased the card in the centre to give the look of a central support spar and smaller thin sheets making up the cover.

The later GWR units had a cab for crew weather protection, and this one was donated by a 2251 I think........  mouldings such as the window frames and riverts were carved and sanded off, and an over plate of plastic card used:   JLTRT.

ee.jpg.7d117e9b2e9a9c2e0e34aae6a5a054ab.jpg

The sequence for the cabbed tender was to cut each of the three over plate panels, drill the cab portholes and then glue the sides and cab front on.    Once firm the cab was dropped into the tender and glued.  The last step was to glue in the bunker over-plate.

ff.jpg.aec33eab9ecd383fc0d5c064319d9e10.jpg

As well as trimming and filling tonight I need to:

Double check the loading gauge of the cab top.....

Add a backhead of sorts,

add spraybars

Paint the cab interior

add the retaining wall to the cab along with roof supports

add Smiths couplings

Add buffers to the drawbar ends

add water pipe linking all 3 tender tops

find/make/replace at least one set of steps

remove logos and prepare for paint.   Black I think, looking at the photographs.  Or I could be talked into incredibly dark Freight Grey..........

ggg.jpg.0da582b31409e0d710deb52ab1dbc707.jpg

Logos - text is known but I need to find a maker.........

Chemical tank, generator/pump van and two dedicated TOADs are complete.  Not sure if I did a Mess coach or not - there is a Ratio kit in the projects box....will check.

On the 65th Anniversary of Sputnik whizzing around overhead......I hope that you are all happy and healthy.

bb.jpg

dd.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

MIB Snr tells me that they used to try and listen out  for it transmitting.......back when he was in uniform and making clever things with valves and capacitors.........

And so began the Space Race........

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

With the aid of some Dapol offerings, which just show how chunky Mainline's wheel rims were......

hhh.jpg.6d219b5bde59ce6fdfa59b8e0846d2b6.jpg

Cab height is as thought - a little on the tall side, and also, as the camera is the best critic, it would seem that the "cab" is leaning forwards.

These will be sored as part of Job 1 tonight.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1