101 Questions - underframe

Jamie

Scoping the works required to upgrade a Hornby (nee Lima) 101 DMU recently dug out of the back of a cupboard.

Whilst I'm happy enough with the body and even the underframe equipment representation, can anyone advise what's going on in the bogie department - ride height seems OK but there's a country mile between bogie frame top and solebar. Is there something major amiss?

TIA, as ever.

Jamie.

The issue is not with the ride height - but the undernourished bogie sideframes and small wheels - hence the huge gap between the solebar and bogie.

Replace with Hornby or DC kits bogies and the correct 12mm diameter wheels - and you'll have a much improved 101!

tfn

Jon

Guest Max Stafford

Show and tell now, Ayrshire Dangerfield! I'd like to see this one in action myself. It's possible these were used in Central Scotland too... ;)

Dave.

Stranraer's got a couple of Met Camm sets outbased. ;) 12A Derby 108s will take over Carlisle and (former) Dumfries-based turns with after end of steam.

New bogies ordered, still looking out colour photos of green ScR units - have a few b+w shots though.

When I make a start on the bodywork/interior I'll show what I'm doing <_< Project Dalmatian, I think I'll call it...

Hi Jim, thanks. Had some of your old thread in mind when doing the research - out of bounds for the moment of course.

Can anyone comment on replacement buffers please? I thought I had the Craftsman 117 detail kit here, turns out it's just the vac hoses, so I'll need to get multiple working gear plus buffers of some description. Am I looking for something like 20" - 22" Oleos?

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

They are the 110 bogies yes. The 101 (as all short DMU's) have smaller buffers, being 18 inch (I think) oleos or 18 inch Heavy duty. If you go down the Oleo route then you can use my buffer mounts that include the lamp irons. If you go for the others then you need a different buffer mount that I dont do.

HTH

Jim

Magic, I'll get the bits at the end of the month and drop you a note re: mounting plates (and bogie steps).

Jamie. I'm in the middle of a DMU session at the moment and am converting a 3 car green Met Camm into a power + trailer unit. Don't forget you'll need to remove the BR crests from the trailer car, if you don't already know. I noticed a similar conversion on the excellent Peffermill Road layout in the latest RM. Crests were generally only on motor cars.

Must speak to Jim about some etches.

I'd ideally like to fill in the coolant recess on the bodyside of the trailer, but don't think I could patch paint the filler without it being obvious. Does anyone have a good match for the Hornby paint ? My unit will be fairly clean so I can't hide it under weathering too well ?

Cheers

Ah, see, I'm keeping it as a triple. ;) - but thanks for the heads-up: a plain blue one might follow in a few months.

When T-cut up, the Hornby green is just a touch less vibrant, and a touch lighter in tone than similarly treated Heljan green - which is meant to be matched to Railmatch colours.

At the front end, the yellow panels both look too lemon, and are about a millimetre short vertically. Mine are wrapped up like fish suppers in newspaper (and masking tape) at the minute :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived