RMweb

Water--what's recommended?

• RMweb Premium

I've got a depression in my wire-mesh/plaster trackside scenery; it's about 15mm deep and is crying out to represent a pond. I'd like to pick any brains out there on which product to use for water of that depth. TIA.

• RMweb Premium

I'd suggest you consider a sheet of clear material to act as the water surface. 15mm deep is quite a bit for either Allan's PVA (see some posts in the "Anything you can do..." thread) or any of the more expensive proprietry model water products, you'd have to build the pond up with 6 - 10 layers. 

In my opinion, you do not want to fill the depression as you need a bank.  As Allan suggests, PVA glue will give the shine you need but it can only be used in thin coats with each drying before applying another - and eventually it will become a little milky.  I think you should first decide what colour you want to see - will you be looking through the surface or seeing light reflected from it?  Then paint the baseboard, perhaps with a coat of filler applied first to remove the wooden look.  By doing this youo can make the water look deeper in some parts than in others.  When the paint has dried, several coats of clear varnish (drying thoroughly between) will look very effective.

Harold.

Hi,

As has been said, 15mm is a bit deep, even for the casting acrylics (Deluxe / Woodland Scenics etc), & it would cost a fortune to fill a depth like that.

How about a smaller pond, using PVA/ old style varnish & paint, casting acrylics, glass or acrylic sheet etc & develop a marsh area around the water.

Tussock tufts are readily available, as are taller reeds / rushes etc, & it would look nice & natural.

You could pad it out with an old dilapidated rowing boat, waterfowl (Langley/Dart Castings etc) dead tree trunks etc

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will look lovely.

Hope this helps.

Cheers 

Rob

Archived