Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Get creative

Learned today through BBC Radio 4 of a national "Get Creative" campaign intended to inspire people to take up a creative activity.

Mention was made of playing a musical instrument, painting, writing and other artistic activities. Does railway modelling comply? What about creative writing in wishlists and frothing topics, designing track plans, fitting sound decoders, etc.

In another thread, promoting the hobby is discussed;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95662-promoting-our-hobby-in-public/

Is this a missed opportunity? 

Jol

• RMweb Gold

I heard this too Jol, and thought of the same promoting the hobby thread I've been following

The way I heard the BBC describe the campaign this morning seems to me to fit the bill as far as railway modelling is concerned, so perhaps an opportunity for us modellers to show the wider world how creative we are, and how 'artistic' our layouts can be?

cheers,

Keith

Hi Keith,

the Get Creative website shows how to sign up. It  requires a website address, so seems to be aimed at organisations. One for Andy to consider?

Clubs could also have a go as well as the national organisations. So could anyone with their own website

While aimed at the arts, surely anything creative would apply. I think that would exclude simply collections of items (perhaps not if they are perceived as art) but should include something that a person or group has created such as  Pendon.

Jol

• RMweb Gold

hi Jol,

Indeed, yes, Pendon crossed my mind too in this regard, and so many other fantastic layouts at clubs, etc that get exhibited and featured in mags, as well as here on RMWeb in layout topics etc!

The degree of craft displayed by railway modellers I am sure would make us eligible, and do much for raising the public profile of railway modelling, as well as emphasise that a lot of what we do (not necessarily my own stuff of course!!) is highly skilled, creative and beautifully engineered work.

cheers,

Keith

One of my bugbears about the world of art, is its structure and the way it seems to be built on a structure of qualifications(pieces of paper) and expect funding etc. I have entered for the Royal Academy Open Arts exhibition over past couple of years, and one category is architecture. Interestingly architecture has been part of the RA since start, but raises the question of how to put on an exhibition of architecture.

The answer is pretty obvious, models, and that is also a big part of our hobby, so should be the way to include it within this BBC project.

https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/article/how-do-you-make-an-architecture

I think something like Pendon should qualify, but then so should other museums using models. The BBC might be opening the floodgates, without realising what is behind them. Their own TV production teams may qualify. My impression of the art world is that it likes to categorise creative things so it can make it easier for a select few.

• RMweb Premium

One of my bugbears about the world of art, is its structure and the way it seems to be built on a structure of qualifications(pieces of paper) and expect funding etc. I have entered for the Royal Academy Open Arts exhibition over past couple of years, and one category is architecture. Interestingly architecture has been part of the RA since start, but raises the question of how to put on an exhibition of architecture.

The answer is pretty obvious, models, and that is also a big part of our hobby, so should be the way to include it within this BBC project.

https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/article/how-do-you-make-an-architecture

I think something like Pendon should qualify, but then so should other museums using models. The BBC might be opening the floodgates, without realising what is behind them. Their own TV production teams may qualify. My impression of the art world is that it likes to categorise creative things so it can make it easier for a select few.

Thanks for posting this link - I opened it and was surprised to see a model that I built a large part of (the one in the background behind Norman Foster).

Alex.

Alex, I think that is pretty good proof that our hobby should be part of this BBC project, but possibly from the layout , model buildings and landscape angle. Nothing against the trains, but that is seen as playing by some people who should know better. The re-emergence of interest in Roland Emett is a good example of art/technology being fun and attracting a lot of interest from younger persons.

Initially I was a bit uncertain, but the more I read and find out the more certain I am that model railways should get involved.

Could not find the link so posting it here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/sections/get-creative

Looking through the ideas part and 'model building' is on list, so I think this is something we should try to get involved in.

... My impression of the art world is that it likes to categorise creative things ...

This becomes very apparent when form rather than function is thereby encouraged in architecture; recent UK examples of a bridge making pedestrians nauseous, high rise focussing sunlight sufficiently to melt commonly used plastics. It is 'uncreative' to build a functional structure at minimum cost, using techniques well proven to work well long term.

The only way a model railway would get a 'creative art' credit is if you took Pendon, enclosed it in an enormous Kilner jar filled with brine or vinegar, and gave it a title on the lines of 'Vale, preserved'. Ever since photography elbowed aside slopping paint about, and dimensioned engineering replaced intuitive craft; art has moved toward the non-representative and impractical, the very opposite of railway modelling. Look at our mechanistic slavishness to such unimaginative concepts as fixed gauge parallel rails with regularly spaced perpendicular sleepers, endlessly repeated in life and on layouts. No 'artist' could abide such rigid conformity...

• RMweb Gold

This becomes very apparent when form rather than function is thereby encouraged in architecture; recent UK examples of a bridge making pedestrians nauseous, high rise focussing sunlight sufficiently to melt commonly used plastics. It is 'uncreative' to build a functional structure at minimum cost, using techniques well proven to work well long term.

The only way a model railway would get a 'creative art' credit is if you took Pendon, enclosed it in an enormous Kilner jar filled with brine or vinegar, and gave it a title on the lines of 'Vale, preserved'. Ever since photography elbowed aside slopping paint about, and dimensioned engineering replaced intuitive craft; art has moved toward the non-representative and impractical, the very opposite of railway modelling. Look at our mechanistic slavishness to such unimaginative concepts as fixed gauge parallel rails with regularly spaced perpendicular sleepers, endlessly repeated in life and on layouts. No 'artist' could abide such rigid conformity...

And if Brian Sewell doesn't like it you've had it...

Listening to part of the Radio 4 programme this morning from Hull, 2017 Capital of Culture, it seems that the "establishment" sees Art and Culture as mutually entwined to the exclusion of much else. Art seems only to be theatre, music, painting, etc. exclusively in the traditional sense. Creativity was spoken off a lot, but only within those confines.

There was considerable stupidity/hypocrisy in referring to David Cameron taking the "war horse" from the show of the same name to China rather than a Range Rover, to show off British creativity and that it isn't commercially driven. Excuse me, but when is a West End production not commercially driven? And when is what is effectively a man operated machine, an ingenious stage prop, any more creative than an industrial design.

I was left with the impression that the contributors to the programme had not seen daylight for some time, for that well known although anatomically impossible reason.

Listening to part of the Radio 4 programme this morning from Hull, 2017 Capital of Culture, it seems that the "establishment" sees Art and Culture as mutually entwined to the exclusion of much else. Art seems only to be theatre, music, painting, etc. exclusively in the traditional sense. Creativity was spoken off a lot, but only within those confines.

Rather ironic that these 'creatives' cannot see/think outside their box!

The Nim.

It is always easier to dismiss something different, but then we are just as guilty concerning what's outside the box.We all know our hobby is a lot better than some more traditional art activities. In fact we probably incorporate a lot of those activities, and organise better exhibitions.

My biggest objection to the world of art is the assumption by those at the top of the pyramid that you need paper qualifications to get on. Can you imagine being told you had to go on a model railway course to exhibit a layout. I remember seeing model railways as a possible task for Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme, but don't remember seeing a university degree course in it.

It is for these reasons that I believe model railways should be a part of this event, and I am not really thinking of Pendon, but some of the other layouts(especially fun ones) around. There are some in the hobby whose attitude to modelling is not much different to the way some art critics behave. Better to show the broad range of types of modelling in the hobby rather than trying to show how a small part works.

---------------------------------------

Just found source of an article that I think makes some interesting points.

While most think of creative people as “right-brained” or artsy, creativity exists within all of us – even the most logical, linear thinkers.

However, some of us have honed our creative sides a little more than others, and know how to capture and express that imaginative energy. Creative people cover a broad spectrum of personalities, from the stereotypical starving artist to the entrepreneurial businessman. They share some common traits that allow them to bring that creativity to life, including the following:

25 Things Creative People Do Differently:

http://www.powerofpositivity.com/25-things-creative-people-differently/

I don't agree with everything on list, but then I am different.

Much of what gets defined as creative activities is more to do with performing a skilled activity, rather than actually being creative. It amazes me sometimes how uncreative some artists are when displaying their art, yet I try to put a lot of thinking into how one of my layouts is displayed, hopefully engaging with those to view my layout. Sometimes what I do is too subtle and missed by many.

Archived