Dapol Western diesel & Kadee couplings

Ron Solly

While it appears to be easy to replace the tension lock coupler with a Kadee plugin version #19 or #20, once in, the top part of the slot below the buffers appears to push the Kadee downwards so the glad arm does not clear the Kadee gauge lip & the knuckle is slightly lower. yes, one could bend the glad arm but that does not bring the knuckles in line.

Has any other modeller found this & the method to fix it?                

Seems to a bit of the reverse of the overheight Bachmann and Heljan mounts and you need to make up a NEM coupling to fit. Take a spare tension lock coupling with a NEM fitting and cut it down so that you have the NEM fitment and a short length bit (SLB) of plastic which will fit the NEM socket without clashing with the bufferbeam. Now cut off the NEM fitment from the Kadee and glue and/or bolt it to the SLB. If the Kadee is too low remove it from the SLB and fit instead to the SLB a further SLB to which the Kadee can be fixed on top of.

I finally fixed it by filling the upper part of the slot to make the slot higher - this allow the coupler arm to be correct & so the knuckle is now also correct.  there was a small lip on the top edge which I removed - a rough guess 0.25 - 0.5 mm  .

• 3 years later...

Becoming less and less keen on the appearance of the Dapol Western with NEM Kadees. Looks to be enough space to fit a 30 series especially if the back of the draft box is thinned down. There is a fixing screw directly in the body shell at either end where the 30 would need screwing; anyone know what that screw holds in place / is it a problem if undone?

post-147-0-11922900-1528884285_thumb.jpg

Said screw turns out to be a plastic chassis - metal chassis joining screw and undoing it has no immediate consequences. Now the puzzle, measured it as 0.96-0.99m which is M1 to me but picking up my pack of M1 bolts they simply slid through the threaded recess in the metal chassis :scratchhead: Lined a 30 draft box in position and seems that it will fit okay other than the necessity of chopping off the NEM mount - much :angry: approaching as I do not get on with 30 springs once I work out the correct bolt and suitable bushes to take up the slack in the fixing hole of the 30.

Edited by Butler Henderson

Had no problem with the NEM Kadees fitting/working properly - its the huge scar across the face of the loco that I dislike. By fitting a 30 series the Kadee can swing from a central pivot allowing for most of the pipework etc  to be represented with the non coupling cowling fitting trimmed to clear the 30.

• RMweb Gold

Had no problem with the NEM Kadees fitting/working properly - its the huge scar across the face of the loco that I dislike. By fitting a 30 series the Kadee can swing from a central pivot allowing for most of the pipework etc  to be represented with the non coupling cowling fitting trimmed to clear the 30.

I see - I thought I must be missing something! I’ve opted for full pipe work (and a crew to fill those huge windows) at one end and the coupling at the other. I turn my diesels on the steam shed turntable. It’s all a compromise is it not? :)