Le weekend

ianp

I was reading a copy of the book "100 ans d'affiches des chemins de fer" (published by La Vie Du Rail in 1981) which I picked up at a model railway exhibition on Saturday. It's a great book with lots of splendid posters in it. To my great surprise I found that one poster from 1936 used that classic bit of Franglais: Le Weekend. I had always thought that Franglais was a much more modern invention and concern. Also to my surprise I learned that Salvador Dali designed five SNCF posters in 1969. I wonder if they ever asked Pablo Picasso, seeing as they named a type of autorail after him? A cubist railway poster would be most intriguing. If you want the book, it can be bought on the French Abebooks website for about 35 francs.

I was reading a copy of the book "100 ans d'affiches des chemins de fer" (published by La Vie Du Rail in 1981) which I picked up at a model railway exhibition on Saturday. It's a great book with lots of splendid posters in it. To my great surprise I found that one poster from 1936 used that classic bit of Franglais: Le Weekend. I had always thought that Franglais was a much more modern invention and concern. Also to my surprise I learned that Salvador Dali designed five SNCF posters in 1969. I wonder if they ever asked Pablo Picasso, seeing as they named a type of autorail after him? A cubist railway poster would be most intriguing. If you want the book, it can be bought on the French Abebooks website for about 35 francs.

Franglais has been around for ages....One name you'll sometimes hear for a bar is 'Estaminet', which sounds very French; allegedly, however, it's derived from a phrase used by Tommies during WW1 who wanted to finish their drink when getting some respite from the Front- 'Just a minute'. There is also a speciality in the Calais area- 'Un Welsh'; normally, it's just melted cheese on toast, though I have given my mother's recipe to several of my colleagues.

• RMweb Premium

............. A cubist railway poster would be most intriguing. If you want the book, it can be bought on the French Abebooks website for about 35 francs.

Would that be pre-1960 Francs or 1960 to 2001 Francs?

Beret, manteau, ..... allée

Archived