DCC consists - help please

MikeHunter

Hi All, I'm starting to experiment with my DCC system, beyond basic functions and chipping locos. I've started to experiment with consists, I have a couple of questions:

1) can the standard Hornby 8 pin decoder be used in a "new" consist, or do they only support the old variety?

2) once in a consist, do you have to take a loco out of it before running it separately?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

1) The spec for the R8249 does not mention "advanced consisting" which uses CV 19. I don't believe it therefore supports this. Best to use a better quality decoder, such as a Lenz Standard+, which only costs a little more.

2) If you do have locos fitted with decoders that support advanced consisting, then once a loco is in a consist you can't drive it via its own address (what would happen to the other locos in the consist?). However you can use its functions (eg turn lights on and off).

It's the latter: as long as the loco is in a consist, the 'normal' address doesn't respond to commands other then its function outputs (lights, sound, aux. functions). That's why manufacturers insist you make sure each loco in the consist is running the same direction when assembling the consist. :yes:

Thanks DM, may seem basic questions, but I'm.just starting with DCC

Archived