Finally found a manufacturer who will provide me with well created laser cut windows. York modelmaking - I doff my hat to you!

Finally taking shape. The windows come in two parts - only the rear parts shown in the photo.

Pete

post-21051-0-74645300-1425397416_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That looks great Peter.

Hope you don't mind but if I was to be super critical: the door handle looks a trifle modern and how do you open the side door?

I have not gotten around to doing the outside shed/alley door handle yet.

The other handle is only tiny - in 4mm it is only 1 millimetre across and I can't detail it properly to look old. It has to be "cast friendly" so there can't be a gap behind it.

Thanks Allan,

Not quite downes quality yet but I'm getting there!

A nice new roof, test fitting.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Pete

Hi Pete,

Much much better now you've altered the lintel, it presents itself in a more realistic manner. Keep it up, and ( with the greatest respect) don't worry about that Downes fella, I'm sure he'll get it right one day :))

Ah now you got me. I never tried a thatched roof as it doesn't lend itself to my goal. You can't cast it!

Maybe I should have a go without research and come up with a technique. Hit or miss style.

Might try thick wool!

Ah! Thatch, it has always been a bit of a problem in my opinion and having asked the Pendon guys many years ago their reply was to use Chinese hair. This is due to the fact that it is straight and therefore suited its application for thatching models.

Now, I didn't relish the idea of going to my nearest take-away and asking for some of their hair and probably being laughed at or worse!

So, having being on building sites for my working life as a Building Inspector I notice a plumber using what is known as "plumbers hemp" and the old brain box sprung into overdrive again.

I'm attaching these photographs to show how it turned out for me and although they've been stored in the loft for a great many years now they seem to have stood the test and not attracted any unwanted visitors.

post-20303-0-25133900-1425820781_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-85693700-1425820823_thumb.jpg

The bulk of the buildings is just mounting card with scribed plaster and other "stuff". The thatch was placed in the same manner as it would be in real life, which may have seemed a monotonous way but with music in the background and a little tipple it soon got completed.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Oh! And do I miss work? What dya think !!!!

Ah a lovely dirty old building. I love it!

I have some plumbers hemp at home that I bought for background scenery once I have all my product range available. I may have to earmark a square foot of it and see if I can create something as nice as that...

Meanwhile - in my new lair/workshop, which is the newly converted garage ( spawn number 2 is on the way and need office as a bedroom), I have been busy dressing the window apertures. Once finished these will become part of the plaster cast so the window can be placed in snugly behind. All these tiny bits need sealing to prevent the rubber silicon from running into the crevices during the molding process.

I use plasticine and it's a fiddly old game I can tell you.

This model master is nearly ready for the mold foundry! Hooray! Only took two months on and off!

post-21051-0-19893500-1425866441_thumb.jpgpost-21051-0-26977000-1425866428_thumb.jpg

Pete

Hi Pete

That is very realistic stonework. I was just wondering if in reality the lintle accross the two doors would have been one pirce. One long piece has several practical problems like cutting it, heavy to move and difficult to get all three supports to line up properly. I just feel it would have been done with two pieces with a join on the centre pillar.

I have no evidence for this so feel free to ignore me.

Stu

I did wonder about the lintel myself. Perhaps a little research and I will change it.

The tiles however, are staying as they are. With an overhang the mold would be too delicate and the plaster cast where the tiles are would break upon removal. These constraints do affect the overall "realism" but are unavoidable - much like the door handle.

Pete

Reality doesn't always favour the model.

Check out N gauge wheels and flanges - reality thrown to the dogs, loadsadough in the bank!

We could also talk about Triang couplings/battering rams but we won't !

Just get as real as logic will allow.

Cheers.

All

Reality doesn't always favour the model.Check out N gauge wheels and flanges - reality thrown to the dogs, loadsadough in the bank!We could also talk about Triang couplings/battering rams but we won't !Just get as real as logic will allow.Cheers.All

That'll send us all to Specsavers if we convert to N gauge ! :)

Archived