Should the soot be cleaned from the firebox when using a metho burner to produce live steam ?

brian777999

This advice was for traction and stationary engines but I was told once that it could affect the transfer of heat from the burners over a period of time adding a layer of insulation which kept the heat out not in. The last thing you want to do is use anything sharp or abrasive to remove it so a small stiff paint brush with the bristles cut down might be able to shift the worst of it. Hope that helps Steve

Thanks for the tip. I used a cut down paint brush to clean off the soot this afternoon. Paint brush bristles are tough : I could not cut through it with either a scalpel or scissors so in the end I used a pair of tin snips.

I am surprised how much soot methylated spirits produces. Are solid fuel tablets worse or better ?

Long ago I had a Mamod steam wagon which ran on the solid fuel tablets. I don't remember much soot but they were a b*$#er to light, stank and didn't last very long. Even the weeny boiler on the steam wagon held enough water to last for two sets of tablets. On the plus side, they were much less prone to igniting the carpet than the meths burner in my slightly earlier stationary engine.

I too am surprised that meths is producing enough soot to  worry about. Soot suggests incomplete combustion which, in turn, suggests that the flame is not receiving enough air. If memory serves, a common cause of this is having the burner too close to the bottom of the boiler. If your burner/firebox/boiler arrangement allows it, try lowering the burner to give the flame a bit more space.

When you go near a camping or out door shop get a pack of Hexamine cooker tablets they are oblong and a little bit bigger than the model shop ones but can be stood on end in the burner tray or snapped to the size required and seem to me to last much longer and there only about £2.99 a pack some times even less. Here's a link (usual disclaimer)

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/web-tex-military-equipment/web-tex-equipment-accessories/hexi-cooker-refill-block-hexi-328113.html

Archived