Tyneside NER EMU in Gauge 1 and other diversions

Beatty 139

I have finally made my mind up for my next personal personal project as opposed to my commercial modelling works, a 1904 N.E.R. Tyneside electric set, I made an appeal for information on RMweb but I did not unearthed anything that I was already aware of, but fortunately at the ALSRM Manchester show a couple of weeks ago I came across the N.E.R.A and on their sales stand I came across a number of books. I will list the information sources as I go so as to assist anyone else who share an interest in this system.

I have held a fascination about the Tyneside suburban system since I was a student in the 1990's in Newcastle.

Sources of information:

The North Eastern Electrics, Oakwood press Locomotion papers No,15

The North Eastern Electrics, The History of Tyneside electric passenger services 1904-67. Oakwood Press LP165

North Eastern Record Vol 2, HMRS

Following the Manchester show I have also found.

North Eastern Railway Electric Traction on Tyneside 1904. NERA 2004

North Eastern Railway Diagrams of Passenger Train Vehicles Book No.2 beginning June 1900, NERA

My first though was to build a single double driver car to run as a single unit or a motor parcels van, but after much though I have decided to go for gold and build a 3 Car 1904 period set with Laycock gates to the vestibules before they were modified to doors and large front windows, as I largely work with laser cut materials and other production techniques such as photo etching, resin casting etc. to make three should be as easy to make one, and if I get the basics right, I can soon build some of the later variants.

The set I have chosen to build are L.M.S.1 Luggage Motor Single Driver 1st Class to Diagram 90 , T.3 Trailer 3rd class to Diagram 92, M.S.3 Motor Single Driver 3rd class to Diagram 91.

I like to build my models framework upwards a luxury that I can do working in Gauge 1 10mm scale.

The first act has to be draw a set of CAD drawings for the body of the three types, fortunately a detailed elevation of a Diagram 91 car is included in the NERA publication, this has formed the basis and the diagrams from the diagram book all works out to design the other Diagram cars, the only discrepancy is 1 3/8" in the total height. between the two sources.

post-17012-0-48494900-1424814009_thumb.jpg

screen short of the the CAD drawing for the L.M.S.1

post-17012-0-74148100-1424814068_thumb.jpg

T.3 trailer

post-17012-0-76873900-1424814053_thumb.jpg

M.S.3

For a start I intend to make the clerestory roof this has to be the most challenging part of the whole carriage to make, hopefully after a few more evenings work at the computer I should be able to start cutting and putting something together.

I do sometimes do commission work in 1/32 but I have always worked in 10mm/1ft personally because of my live steam locos, and between me and my farther we have so much 10mm stock I can't see any point in changing.

10mm and 1/32 will be around for a long time to come as I would guess the majorty of scratch built live steam is 10mm while the far eastern ready to run is 1/32.

I do find it a bit off putting with the amount of 1/32 BR Mk1 that have flooded the market they do look a bit odd running against 10mm main line locos, but as my main intrest is in pre-grouping goods stock with the variety of loading gauges and sizes very few can tell the diffrence.

This evenings work has been been CAD based.

1st job was to scale the 12" to 1' drawings down to 10mm/1ft, once that was done the next was to start laying stock material thicknesses over the various drawings, allowing for the lamination's and engraved parts to give the 3 dimensional depth to the body.

On the whole its worked out OK, with nothing more than about 3/8 to 1/2 out when scaled which I am quite happy with.

post-17012-0-18089500-1424901988_thumb.jpg

The sections Left to Right are, The mid partitions, a general section across the body and the doors from the passenger saloon to the the vestibule, all are drawn for the model with material thicknesses as per stock, this model will be built fully in thin ply 0.4, 0.8, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 & 3.0mm thick I do have some 0.6mm ply as well but if i can help it I won't use for this project as I don't keep much in stock. the sides for example will be 2 layers of 0.8mm to form the match boarding and window surrounds, a 2mm core and another 0.8mm interior layer, with some 0.4mm ply forming the external moldings.

If I can get a few more good hours CAD work over the next couple of evenings, I might be able to get a few bits test cut at the weekend, in between some MR signal boxes that have been ordered.

I have had a slight change of plan, I was intending to start on the roof, but I want to put some more thought into the whole structure, so I did make a start on the main body of the Motor Single Driver 3rd (MS3)

post-17012-0-76691600-1425071490_thumb.jpg

The floor has been cut and engraved from 3mm ply, from the photographs of the interiors of the MS3 and T3 cars the floors appear to be carpeted but I presume the vestibules are floored with diagonal boards as the cab and parcel area on the preserved Diagram 100 parcel car at the Stephenson Railway Museum. After adjusting the settings I was able to machine out the floor by 0,8mm to take a planked insert.

post-17012-0-79148000-1425071522_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if it will be worth the effort but well why not if you can.

post-17012-0-70326700-1425071563_thumb.jpg

The other parts made tonight are two main saloon sides and the centre partitions, the side frames are made in 2mm ply the partitions are laminated from two 0.8mm ply layers so both faces are detailed. I like to design tab and slot construction as it helps everything nice and square while things are gluing and adds to the final strength.

post-17012-0-21298900-1425071603_thumb.jpg

last image is a view into the saloon, I like to compare my work to original photos to get if I have captured the feel of the prototype.

The interior will be fitted with a 0.4mm ply interior.

I hope to draw and cut the vestibule ends and doors tomorrow and the next outer lamination of the body frames.

I have invested a few more hours into this project last night with some more CAD work, until I was told to go to bed and not sit up all night playing with that bloody computer by SWMBO!

In all fairness she had a point as i had to cut every thing I did twice making corrections this morning!

post-17012-0-14625200-1425129207_thumb.jpg

The vestibule ends are formed in 3 1mm ply layers the door lower panels will have 0.4mm ply panels inserted and the upper windows glazed.

post-17012-0-51093900-1425129335_thumb.jpg

View from the passenger saloon.

The last job was to cut the outer lamination of the bodyside framing in 0.8mm ply.

post-17012-0-11101800-1425129427_thumb.jpg

This finishes off the framing, the last lamination will be the external match-boarding and beading and the internal T&G to the passenger saloon.

I then need to think about the ends and cab, I know I am avoiding the roof but then something has to keep me awake at night!

I have not had much chance to make much progress because of family things this last weekend, but I did manage to draw the file for the match board sides.

post-17012-0-15831100-1425339174_thumb.jpg

Other than the final beading strips and interior this completes the body side profile.

post-17012-0-40490600-1425339202_thumb.jpg

I am not sure what will come next the vestibule or cab end and then maybe i will have given the roof enough thought to make a start on that..

Thanks Crimzz, I have been fascinated by it for a long time and I have been giving building a model of a set for some years, I was orignally thinking of a diagram 100 parcel car, when I was a student in Newcastle back in the early 90's I was a volunteer at the North Tyneside Steam Railway and often had to shunt and trip the parcel car down to Percy Main for use as a waiting room in the bay platform.

Building the 3 car set will be more representative of operation.

Having given some thought on how the model will work I am only going to power the LMS1 batteries in the luggage van, with radio and speed controller under the floor, and the the bogie powered with "Fosmotors" as the orignal, the Trailer third and Motor Single third will both be unpowerd but I may install lighting.

I have been gluing everything cut to date together this afternoon and I am so far quite pleased how it's coming together. I hope to get the vestibule and cab drawn tonight, then I won't be able to avoid the roof anymore.

Archived