Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Locomotive questions

jamessolomon

I have 3 locos in my stash a Kato GP7 in Canadian Pacific maroon/grey, Bachmann CSX GP35 and a Bachmann ATSF Plymouth Switcher for shunting duties. I have a few questions since im in the mood for another loco to replace the broken GP35 on the layout so here goes

1) With CP did they ever get into the idea of patching locos as this would look interesting on a layout

2) Did CP ever acquire buy locos off other railroads during sales and run them in the livery for a while till paint. Seen modern CP buying old stock to repaint and convert to Canadian standards but did this apply to the old CP pre CP red introduction

3)Would it not matter what road names i had on the rolling stock to run with the locos as they seem to get around everywhere

4) What sort of road names would be suitable with CP. I saw a tasty SP loco at the local show last year but wasn't sure if it fit so i didnt buy it

6) Do you gys always have a prefered manufacturer when picking locos or rolling stock you go to first to pick before going to your other choices

1) I don't believe CP did much patching at all, as their earlier diesel locomotive procurement didn't involve buying used locos.

2) Effectively no

3) No, except for particular traffic (e.g. grain boxcars), cars from many different roads could be seen together.

4) In pre-Action Red times there probably wasn't a lot of run-through traffic. You might see locos of subsidiaries like SOO. Exceptions would be where other railroads had running rights or where CP had rights on other lines. If you are looking at southern Ontario, TH&B might be an option (another subsidiary) as well as NYC (part-owners with CP of the TH&B ).

5) Yes, but I model in N, so it wouldn't help much (I assume yours are HO)

A suggestion might be to get a loco (GP9/GP35 etc) in Action Red with a large Multimark (livery from '68 on) and/or a SOO loco.

Adrian

CP only got into patchouts in the 90's when they started acquiring used SD40-2s fex KCS, Southern and possibly other roads, the renumbering seems to have been mostly quite professional, the white KCS locos got action red lettering in the correct typreface for instance

http://www.mountainrailway.com/Roster%20Archive/CP%20600/CP%20670.htm

In earlier times CP sometimes leased power from some fairly esoteric sources during the winter grain rush. I recall seeing pictures of Lake Superiot & Ishpeming U23Cs, Bangor & Aroostook GP7s and Union Pacific FA1s.

As Adrian suggests - more CP power would be most typical for your layout. (It sure gets my vote)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60996-cp-rail-gp30-build/

Nick

Second the motion to buy a Soo Line loco or three ;) CP Rail was after all the major Shareholder in the Soo since the 19th Century.

Completely off topic, but have you seen the latest Diesel Era (Jan/Feb)? Their ongoing GP9 saga has reached the Soo Line.

Adrian

I have 3 locos in my stash a Kato GP7 in Canadian Pacific maroon/grey, Bachmann CSX GP35 and a Bachmann ATSF Plymouth Switcher for shunting duties. I have a few questions since im in the mood for another loco to replace the broken GP35 on the layout so here goes

Well, CSX didn't come on the scene until 1986, so you wouldn't likely see it with a maroon/grey loco.

If you want to move to a more modern era than your maroon/grey loco would indicate you do have an option if you want to stretch the truth a bit.

CP run a Heritage Train and they have a couple of locos painted in maroon grey to pull it - you could certainly stretch it to having a "heritage" GP7 allowing you to move to the current time, or the last decade if you wanted.  I would assume that those locos are used for freight service when no one has chartered the Heritage Train so you wouldn't even need to model the passenger operation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37908073@N04/5934873795/in/set-72157622032214712

http://www.royalcanadianpacific.com/heritage.html

3)Would it not matter what road names i had on the rolling stock to run with the locos as they seem to get around everywhere

Much more flexible, but again beware of era, though fallen flag road names are more likely in freight cars.

4) What sort of road names would be suitable with CP. I saw a tasty SP loco at the local show last year but wasn't sure if it fit so i didnt buy it

Doubtful, likely a little too far south for it to have made it into Canada.

6) Do you gys always have a prefered manufacturer when picking locos or rolling stock you go to first to pick before going to your other choices

Not that simple. It first depends on what you want, that will then determine what your options are in terms of manufacturer.

It then depends on what your personal preferences are - do you want accurate, detailed models, or do you prefer models that look the part but are more affordable?

In terms of detailed models your choices come down to Atlas (not Trainman), Athearn Genesis, Rapido and working your way down from there. At the bottom of the list in North America will generally be Bachmann.

Archived