Dapol N gauge Class 67

danic19

Here is where i ask for some help having recently started a new layout i have most of the track down on the baseboard and started to run trains when i tried to drive my Dapol Class 67 it started  to smoke I am not sure What is happening or if the loco is a completely dead.  It appears that i have bad luck with Dapol as i also have a B1 and a terrier the terrier doesn't move and the B1 is very temperamental i don't think i will buy Dapol again.

Any suggestions as to why this might happen?

Dan

post-25435-0-78588400-1424901235_thumb.jpg

post-25435-0-55177700-1424902214_thumb.jpg

Dapol motors can go this way, though the PCBs on 67s have some dubious quality components and soldering on them too - I had high current draw on my 67 which was down to gunk on the PCB that must have been bridging tracks.

Check the motor by powering it directly (you'll need to take the body off) - if it runs when the PCB is bypassed then the PCB is the culprit, otherwise it's the motor. DCC supplies should be able to supply replacements if you find you need parts.

B1 - does the motor run but the loco doesn't move? If so this is the drive gear in the chassis unit - poor design means the worm meshing isn't good and can wear - but this can be repaired with a small mod to cure it.

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Gold

I had a class 67 motor fail at NEC last year.

Contacted DCC Supplies but they did not know when or if there would be any replacement motors available.

Contacted Dapol but to this day still no reply.

So my plan is to find a suitable small motor and do my own modifications or leave it as a dummy loco but iwth working lights etc.

Archived