Removing enamel paint

71H

Reluctantly (having run out of brake fluid), I used some caustic soda oven cleaner to shift generously applied paint from some recently acquired models. It's worked well, but has taken the shine off the plastic (not badly and a repaint was in programme anyway) and left white deposits on the mazak bogie frames. This is what I've noticed in the past and why I'm not keen on the stuff (that and its highly corrosive nature!).

Has anyone any ideas on removing the white deposits? (zinc and/or magnesium oxide?). I thought vinegar, but would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Memo to self - look for dot 3 brake fluid, now the boot sale season is starting again. (The out dated stuff is fine as paint stripper, even if not for the car.)

But does it strip paint? I understand that is one of the differences between Dot 3 and Dot 4 - it affects the car's finish less if spilled. Or have I got it wrong again?

I paid 50p each for my last lot of Dot 3 at a boot sale. It still works but there's only a drop left -  it's removing the paint the caustic soda missed from the coach end as I write, but the end is all it reaches...

H & S has done for quite a few things that have been replaced by things that don't work  - sodium chlorate weedkiller (my weeds laugh at its substitutes), cellulose thinners...

A few days ago I bought a s/h Bachmann WD for spare parts, and decided to strip a rather poor brush black repaint job. I used some Carlube dot 4 left from a previous job on a Bachmann Ivatt class 2 mogul. Left overnight it was stripped perfectly to show an unexpected WD khaki livery !!! It's now resprayed in black - well the loco body, and tender ready to sell on, as the chassis is now under a Hornby 8F body as 48169, as per third pic, in post # 4 in;-http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96451-8f-with-wd-wheels/

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'm not altogether happy with my latest trial of caustic soda oven cleaner, though it did remove the original paint from a Dublo Duchess - this is always most reluctant to come off.

Archived