Brick Quoins for Flint buildings?

dseagull

Quick question for those who have trod this road before me!

If I wanted to brick quoins on a stone/flint building, aka;

post-723-0-19740100-1425152949.jpg

What would be the best way of going about it? My gut says to cut the quoins out of card and then cover in DAS and scribe the bricks, but wondered if there is any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

• RMweb Gold

I built a flint cottage and used south eastern fine cast brick plasticard and although it was a bit of a pain cut them out then stuck them on some flint plasticard of origin I don't know but got it in Monkbar models in York. I find the wills flint sheets have a bit too much relief.

I've recently done a flint church using the same card I used on my cottage and can be seen on my layout thread

• RMweb Gold

Oh,and when I built my cottage thought I'd messed it up as I made quoins 5 and 5 where the norm is 3 and 3. Then went to Burnham market and for some reason nearly all the buildings were 5 and 5

Thanks all.

Nick: very impressive work,however as I plan to use Wills sheets for the flints, I'm not sure if the difference in relief would be too noticeable?

Russ: Nice work - thanks for the tip. Its been suggested to me by Geoff Forster of Peynhydd and Llangunlo fame to try a mix of plaster and PVA to reduce the relief in the Wills mouldings, which is something I will definatley be trying.

What I used to do was to cut the brick surrounds out of 1mm card then cut the same pattern out of brickpaper then set it aside but glue the card brick surrounds down to  a 1mm card wall then fill it with Fire cement/Das Clay and press Budgie grit into the compound whilst it's still soft making sure that it finishes flush with the card brick surrounds and once everything has set hard, then glue the cut out brick surrounds down over the card surrounds.

I did have some pictures somewhere but you will find a sample or two in my book "Downesplans country buildings"  where you might find a copy on Ebay every now and again if you're unfortunate enough !

Cheers.

Allan.

What I used to do was to cut the brick surrounds out of 1mm card then cut the same pattern out of brickpaper then set it aside but glue the card brick surrounds down to  a 1mm card wall then fill it with Fire cement/Das Clay and press Budgie grit into the compound whilst it's still soft making sure that it finishes flush with the card brick surrounds and once everything has set hard, then glue the cut out brick surrounds down over the card surrounds.

I did have some pictures somewhere but you will find a sample or two in my book "Downesplans country buildings"  where you might find a copy on Ebay every now and again if you're unfortunate enough !

Cheers.

Allan.

Thanks Allan thats very helpful.

I will keep a lookout for your book as I'm sure it will come in very handy!

• RMweb Gold

When I first saw it I thought it lacked relief. But I painted it in a greyish colour then dry brushed black, grey ,brown and a reddy colour over different flints then misted it with model mates sand brown weathering dye

• RMweb Gold

Cheers.

Allan.

You never cease to amaze me with what you use for materials ! But that would make sense. Does the budgie grit have the right colours?

You never cease to amaze me with what you use for materials ! But that would make sense. Does the budgie grit have the right colours?

Budgie grit is a mixture of grit and crushed sea hells so does look something like flint.

Another way how I used to get the effect was to stipple the fire cement whilst it was still soft then when hardened off, lightly sand over the top .

It wasn't never going to set the modelling world alight but it was OK for the time when hardly anybody was scratch building anything and Superquick reigned supreme !

In fact, I do believe I have a photo of a church somewhere where it's entirely covered in budgie grit - in fact I had the nerve to write an article about it which appeared in the Railway Modeller !

Cheers.

Allan

• RMweb Gold

You're right about the fact that people are now scratch building a lot more. 15 years ago when I built my last layout a superquick terminus station seemed more than adequate for my station, yet these days I want everything to be a lot more realistic and though I'm not the greatest modeller I try to be at least as good as the ready to plant buildings which are now available.

It was probably when these became available that altered peoples standards

• 3 weeks later...

As an aside, this is my preferred means of cutting out the vertical interstices in brick papers....

Cutting 1mm steps isn't too irksome if you grind a scalpel blade to a tiny chisel point* and it it to 'stab' the vertical divisions. After a stabbing session, the horizontal parallel cuts can be made swiftly from one side without continually turning the paper  back and forth. 

post-106-0-67401400-1426846217.jpg

post-106-0-66792200-1426847404.jpg

When one considers that 1" of blue brick quoining needs 92 separate cuts, the time/care spent grinding a blade is well worthwhile!

post-106-0-10835800-1426848150.jpg

Doug

* With care and eye protection you can do this with a Dremel, holding the blade, folded in a slip of card  in a pair of pliers

I have considered brick quoins on a flint house to be included in my range of buildings. If I were to do it I would use a clay on the edges of the windows, although I would apply the clay and then let it dry. Once dry I would then sand flat and tidy then scribe the bricks in using a bit of water to soften the top surface.

Pere

Archived