East Lancs 37s on revenue earning freight

Stuart A

• RMweb Gold

Last couple of weekends have seen the ELR's 37s plus 33109 as reserve working on Metrolink track renewals, and has also seen 66s and 59201 working into Bury Bolton Street station on week days. I couldn't unfortunately get out to see them, but found this on Youtube:

Turn the sound up! biggrin.gif

ahh sorry, thought it was on network rail lines in that clip, so I take it metrolink arnt as stringent with things like stickers, lights and tpws etc.

Mike

Not a case of not being stringent, simply not a requirement on Metrolink. For those who are interested 37418 did a gauging run in the early hours of 24 January, 37418 and 37109 worked a long welded rail train in the early hours of 31 January and then all four locos worked last weekend. The majority of trains were worked by the 37s. They started work at 05.30 on Sat 6 Feb until 03.30 Mon 8 Feb, the locos running for 46 hours!

maybe stringent wasnt the right word,

however I think this is a great thing, a very good common sense idea,

ELR get cash, metrolink get (i would imagine) a cheaper deal than DB Shenker etc.

the ELR have also got a fundraiser as theyve got a chance of obtaining Oldham mumps station canopy http://east-lancs-rly.co.uk/

Imagine if they could resurect that like the one that was once at Ramsbottom :)

Mike

• RMweb Gold

ahh sorry, thought it was on network rail lines in that clip, so I take it metrolink arnt as stringent with things like stickers, lights and tpws etc.

Mike

All of those sort of things are requirements contained in Group Standards and as such are only applicable on Network Rail lines (or on anyone else's railway if that railway choses to apply the Standards - some of the non NR railways do use some of the Group Standard technical standards but that is entirely their own decision and is not mandatory).

Metrolink is subject to the usual current legislative requirements which I presume means that ROGS would apply and that means it would have to have proper safe (documented and, where necessary, risk assessed) methods of working etc. There should be risk assessments and a method statement for the working of the engineering trains by ELR power and personnel (but I won't bore you with a list of what I would be looking for in those documents if I were independently assessing or auditing them :blink: ).

Archived