Suitable motor for a South Eastern Finecast 94XX

Weaselfish

Good evening.

Bachmann's announcement of a 94XX being added to their range has given me a contrary incentive to build my SEF kit of the same type. Can anyone give me a pointer as to what would be a suitable motor for it please? I've seen references to using Mashima 1224s to power whitemetal kit panniers but I've also seen a few posts on this forum recently where builders have been advised to avoid the 12 series motors as being underpowered for the job. I've already seen from the specifications on the Hollywood Foundry site that the 1024 motor is more powerful than the 1224. I'd be using SEF's etched chassis kit and a High Level gearbox. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Have a look at High Level kits web site.

They stock a range of Mashima motors and their own range of gearboxes.

I would recommend a 54:1 gearbox with a 14mm or 16mm diameter can motor. The largest diameter that can be comfortable fitted.

Gordon A

Bristol

The ratio choice depends on how you want the model to perform. With the motors Gordon suggests, any ratio from 25:1 and up will deliver good results in conjunction with feedback control, in terms of smoothness and slow speed capability. The advantages of the smaller ratio are a less demanding build, reduced noise for any given standard of construction, and a maximum speed capability which matches what the real thing could do when put to it.

The High level gear boxes are well designed and easey to assemble.

The gears are a self lubricating nylon type plastic and are at least a two stage reduction so the gears are quite coarse in model terms.

The worm is made of brass and is an interference fit on the motor shaft.

Between 40 to 54:1 you will get a realistic operating speed.

Satisfied user.

Gordon

PS There is also a gear box planner to print off and use to decide which gear box suits you sir.

Remember these were not Gronks and could run up to 60 mjph quite easily, I once saw a log of ons sustaining just under 60 mph on the GW main line with an 8 coach Oxford to Paddington train deputising for a 51XX.

Archived