RMweb

GNR Breadsall Signal Box - Friargate Line

rd84

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if the signal box at Breadsall on the GNR Friargate line was of a GNR Type 1 please ?

A06_Howard%20Sprenger03SEP1968.jpg

Also are there any drawings available of a GNR Type 1 signal box similar to this ?

Many thanks.

Regards

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I've had a quick look in "An Illustrated History of Great Northern Signalling", Michael A Vanns, OPC, ISBN 0 86093 545 0

He states (on page 84) that Breadsall is a Type 1b/1875 drawing (Yorks and Notts)

The box was opened on 28th Jan 1878.

The book contains a number of signalbox drawings, but none are exactly like Breadsall.  One diagram is captioned as a GNR lithograph which accompanied the contract details for signalling Division No1 of the Derbyshire Extension Lines.  Breadsall appears to be a larger box than this diagram.

The author states that the roof pitch seems to vary between boxes.

Hope this is some help.

David

I've had a quick look in "An Illustrated History of Great Northern Signalling", Michael A Vanns, OPC, ISBN 0 86093 545 0

He states (on page 84) that Breadsall is a Type 1b/1875 drawing (Yorks and Notts)

The box was opened on 28th Jan 1878.

The book contains a number of signalbox drawings, but none are exactly like Breadsall.  One diagram is captioned as a GNR lithograph which accompanied the contract details for signalling Division No1 of the Derbyshire Extension Lines.  Breadsall appears to be a larger box than this diagram.

The author states that the roof pitch seems to vary between boxes.

Hope this is some help.

David

Hi David,

Many thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I'll see if I can get that book.

Cheers

Paul

Archived