Laira P4

Goodevening

Its been a while since ive posted anything showing stuff ive done , as ive been engrossed with tracklaying for my little layout of Laira Depot -

Size is 12' long and 30" deep , but narrowing to 24" at each end of the layout. The trackplan is dead simple - 5 sidings , and just 2 sets of points - which represents Lipson Sidings at Laira , where stock was dumped with an uncertain future, or generally just used to keep things out of the way. So - its a layout of a depot , but without the actual 'depot' bitblink.gif . I like to see long lines of odd stock or locos , so keeping points to a minimum means nice long sidings , to fill with class 50s cool.gif plus i wanted lots of space around the track , so its not to cramped - like the real thing .

With the track almost done I had to try some stock on to see what it looks like . Trackwork is Exactoscale throughout - with copperclad sleepers and brass dropper pins at the board joints and to power the rails - a'la - Jim Smith-Wright.

Apoloigies that some of the stock isnt coverted to p4 yet , so is balanced on the rails in a wonky way

post-6893-12659289403959_thumb.jpg

a pair of BZ 37s wait for thier Dapol silver bullets

post-6893-12659292752698_thumb.jpg

hst power cars parked up split from sets for maintenance

post-6893-12659293665484_thumb.jpg

Withdrawn 08s 50007 and sandite DMU Trailer....

post-6893-12659294692038_thumb.jpg

....and a line of withdrawn class 50s sad.gif

post-6893-12659295516761_thumb.jpg

50032 - soon off to old oak to be cut? sad.gif 50030 was a bit more lucky

post-6893-12659297186679_thumb.jpg

37521 arrives to start a new life working china clay

post-6893-12659298632402_thumb.jpg

an HST power car, awaiting new nose sections prepares to be towed into the works by 08648

Im looking forward to getting scenery done next- as its been ages (years) since ive done any.

tfn

Jon

Great idea i'll be watching this one it's bringing back memories of when my dad took me as a kid around the period your modelling. I remember their was a place next to the depot especially for railfans, i always remember the amount of hoovers their. If i get chance i will scan in the photos of that day & post them on this thread for you to have a look at.

Simon.

Hi Jon

That's looking good, and you're putting 50s in their place - the scrap line.

Just kidding, biggrin.gif but seriously 43194 looks amazing! All that detail squeezed in under there too, it's not something I've seen modelled before.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread

jo

Hi Jon

That's looking good, and you're putting 50s in their place - the scrap line.

opinion is divided about that biggrin.gif

all those class 50 models have sound chips and can still turn thier wheels , so theyre not quite dead yet!

Id rather the scrapline was full of 47s (and cr*mptons)

tfn

Jon

What'd I do...?

Its all 'Traction Magazine's fault! -anyone remember " crompton corner" - years ago they went 33 mad - to the point where you'd get fed up with them!

The class 33 has much nicer model than the 50 though - the Heljan model is much more enjoyable to work on than the Hornby 50 - its not fair!sad.gif

tfn

Jon

A very interesting idea but I could not comment on the motive power as by the period you are modelling I had moved away from the area.

I remember pushing my kids along the Embankment when the depot had been built and watching the Westerns and Warships!

Did you know that the depot was built near where once was a large lake/pond and tidal.

I have have often thought that a model of the former Laira steam shed layout would provide an interesting project.

Interesting idea, but if you like 50's why have them withdrawn?

We all no Courageous and that other Old Oak Common beast Furious were cut up prematurely.For completness sake you realy need to model Monarch on the end of the scrapline rusting away in its faded large logo livery.You could also have Revenge with it's roof hatches removed exposing the power unit.

Anyway nie layout just don't like the idea o those 50,s on the scrap line as brings back too unhappy memories :(

Mmmmm.......a scrap line eh, Mr ?

One day, in the not too distant future, probably our lifetimes, ........there will be scrap lines full of 66's and 67's wink.gif

There's definately light at the end of the tunnel..........

Dave

Just think though the ying ying sound of a 66 on a preserved line biggrin.gif

Goodevening , thanks for all the interesting comments and stuff - when ive got a bit more time later ill reply to them individually - thanks!

Today ive had to adjust some of my track at the board joints - which isnt very exciting and not much to show -

I did however get another bit of my 'scenery' today - I want the scenery to be more about objects rather than landscape(ie , lumps covered in grass) - if that makes sense . Obviously Laira is a huge place ,and i'm only able to model a little bit , but theres some elements from other areas the depot that i want to include on the layout as they are interesting and unique features which give the place its identity. The scenic object in question is a grounded GUV , in old intercity colors . I was going to respray a Bachmann one - but in the shop today I spotted a Hornby (ex lima) GUV in Intercity colors. Perfect! it just needs the ends painting light grey and the orange cantrail stripes removing. Ive already hacked off the underframe gubbins and plonked it in place to see how it looks. I think it needs two more stacks of sleepers to sit on - nearer the middle of the body.

post-6893-12660858725209_thumb.jpg

and here it is , sort of how its meant to be viewed -

post-6893-12660857995869_thumb.jpg

tfn

Jon

• RMweb Gold
What is P4 gauge,I haven't heard much of it before?

4mm scale 00 gauge track is seriously narrow in scale terms. P4 promoted (by the Scalefour and EMGS Societies) defines a set of track standards that nominally (do not let anyone tell they are exact) are the same as the prototype. This gives a track gauge of 18.83 mm and requires hand built track and re-wheeling of RTR stock.

See Scalefour society website at http://www.scalefour.org/

By the way I model EM which has a track width of 18.2 mm and slighty coarser track and wheel standards (easier to work with in my opinion)

You takes your money as they say as to what suits you.

regards

Dave

Guest jim s-w

Hi

Further to Dave's comments its not so much that 00 track is narrow but its actually a completely different scale! 00 models are 4mm to 1 foot scale of 1:76.2 while 00 track is actually HO scale, 3.5mm to 1 foot or 1:87.

HTH

Jim

Or to put it another way in OO the gauge is wrong - nothing to do with scale at all. ;)

OO modellers do not model in HO scale - just in narrow gauge.

EM modellers model in the same scale - but a closer to prototypical gauge

P4 modellers model in the same scale - but an even closer to prototypical gauge

HO modellers model in a different scale :( and are about as relevant to OO as OO9 modellers.

PS. looks like a nice open track plan, what buildings will you be adding?

Guest jim s-w

Hi Kenton

00 uses HO SCALE track. Its not just the gauge but the size and spacing of the sleepers are all to 1:87 scale. The peco fine 00 track uses a rail that is smaller than 4mm scale FB rail.

Cheers

Jim

Great idea i'll be watching this one it's bringing back memories of when my dad took me as a kid around the period your modelling. I remember their was a place next to the depot especially for railfans, i always remember the amount of hoovers their. If i get chance i will scan in the photos of that day & post them on this thread for you to have a look at.

Simon.

Goodevening - i know exactly the spot you mean rolleyes.gif - spotters corner - with the viewing platform - which I intend to include on the layout - hopefully with a model of me peering over the fencebiggrin.gif . The viewing area is now sadly gone . And photos would be welcome - there still a few 'blanks' i need to fill in regaring what detail went where.

Yes, more of the spacious feel of Mike Anson's Western Road smile.gif

one of my favorite layouts - although its a shame i have a bit of a problem identifying with the period its set it in -im too young - wasnt even born then - but for those who were around that time, Western Road must be a brilliant nostalgia trip.

Looks good so far Jon

I like the way its a bit different from the usual 'Toton in 2 feet' depot layouts.

thanks jim - having very few points appeals to me - as it should be kinder to my shonky P4 Conversions!

Not seen many layouts from this era either so should be good to follow

I agree , it does seem like it - but maybe i've not been looking very hard - there is plenty of nice stock out there for modelling late 80s early 90s - the gaping hole at the moment being decent aircon mk2s .

A very interesting idea but I could not comment on the motive power as by the period you are modelling I had moved away from the area.

I remember pushing my kids along the Embankment when the depot had been built and watching the Westerns and Warships!

Did you know that the depot was built near where once was a large lake/pond and tidal.

I have have often thought that a model of the former Laira steam shed layout would provide an interesting project

From what I understand - the sidings I'm modelling are on the site of the old steam shed apparently. My Dad remembers it well , as his school football pitch was just the other side of lipson junction - overlooking the depot. More recently This area was changed and turned into a secure compound for the 'Nightstar' project - which died a bit of a death - so unfortunately what im modelling is well and truly history sad.gif

Interesting idea, but if you like 50's why have them withdrawn?

We all no Courageous and that other Old Oak Common beast Furious were cut up prematurely.For completness sake you realy need to model Monarch on the end of the scrapline rusting away in its faded large logo livery.You could also have Revenge with it's roof hatches removed exposing the power unit.

Anyway nie layout just don't like the idea o those 50,s on the scrap line as brings back too unhappy memories sad.gif

alot of the stock i've got allows me to wind a clock back a little - so the layout can be set when the 50s would still be in service - although not for long. I do plan to do Monarchcool.gif but would rather model it in a rather more servicable condition . Renown and Repulse were the two I always remember siting there - once they left - to a better life luckily - the sidings were never the same - never quite as interesting.

Today ive been adding cosmetic chairs to the copperclad sleepers - Its tedious , but has to be done - its quite rewarding actually.

post-6893-12661710807264_thumb.jpg

I've also started cutting strips of plastic , to make the concrete walkways between the sidings, shown here:

post-6893-12661711925669_thumb.jpg

- Im in a bit of a dilema how to glue these down to the wooden baseboard- I'd normally go for contact adhesive - but recently found some things I made a couple of years ago where the contact adhesive has now failed , and the things have fallen apart.

So will have to do some trials - im going to do some test bits using normal contact adhesive , 3M spray mount , solvent free contact adhesive , and maybe double sided tape . If anyone have any other suggestions on this I'd be gratefull - as i have approx 30' worht of these strips to fix down.

tfn

jon

Archived