1701/2721 Allocations and Modifications

Having had no luck in tracing a copy of RCTS part 5, I'm hoping some good soul here can help! 

I would really like to justify a 1701 or  2721 (to be converted from a Bachmann 57xx) but with the plethora of bunker and cab differences I need to pin down a specific example. So, what if any could be found in the Central Wales district? Anywhere north of Brecon, south of Wrexham and west of Shrewsbury would be good, and of course, what condition would it have been in rear end wise? (and smokebox door wise come to think of it)

You don't say when but, presumably, after fitting with panniers? RCTS part 5 won't help too much, for 2721s it says none were in Central Wales in 1935, similarly for the 1854/1701 class. Plenty in South Wales but less than a handful at Worcester. Both classes were very much southern engines.

Nick

You don't say when but, presumably, after fitting with panniers? RCTS part 5 won't help too much, for 2721s it says none were in Central Wales in 1935, similarly for the 1854/1701 class. Plenty in South Wales but less than a handful at Worcester. Both classes were very much southern engines.

Nick

Not too bothered about the when as I model right through from 1880 to 1965, as long as it's got panniers I'm not bothered too much, don't want to do a saddle tank just yet although I probably will in the future. 

As an alternative to a Bachmann conversion, you can take the Hornby body, and with careful shaving the inside, put a Bachmann 57XX chassis in place of the dreadful Scalextric motor powered chassis that normally comes with the Hornby model. This one has received 1930's upgrade with full cab etc. It also enables daylight to be seen under the boiler and the Bachmann chassis has the bolier base as part of the assembly. This was a really cheap conversion based on a Roger Carpenter collection photo from one of the model shows. The body was £12.50 of eBay and the chassis came from a redundant Bachmann Pannier. There is also lots of room for weight in the Hornby tanks.

post-9992-0-95627400-1426106917_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-59814800-1426106923_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Seems like a good excuse to post another photo of an 1854/2721 class model.

This is a Martin Finney kit, with a High level Gear box and Ultrascale wheels. It is the third of a trio of locos I had built for me by John James. modelled on a photo of 1738 in the early- mid 1920s and is number 1738. I forgot to send Finney plates over so will do them shortly. After i finish the pile of goods wagons I am in the midst of!

Craig W

post-244-0-69522000-1426146258_thumb.jpg

Archived