Traintronics signals

robf

Hi

I'm looking at purchasing a Traintronics TT131 Two Aspect OO Signal with Feather (right) (R/G) for DCC operation.

Does this require an extra DCC decoder? I have a Train-Tech SC2 One-Touch DCC Signal Control Module. Will this work with TT131 or could I use TT111 non DCC one with the Train-Tech module?

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

The simplest way of controlling a feather is to use a switch on the point motor that controls the diverging route.  I use Tortoise motors and on my layout I only use one of their two switches for frog polarity. My signals are the non-DCC variety. As the display of the feather is suppressed when the signal is showing a red aspect, I simply power the feather permanently but route the power to it via the second switch on the Tortoise. So the feather will only display if both the signal is set to green and the diverging route is set.  No need for DCC to know anything about it!

• RMweb Gold

The TT131 comes with DCC on board via the TT301 decoder, so you wouldn't need the SC2 with that version. I'd suggest having a read of the manuals which are accessible here - http://www.traintronics.co.uk/manuals

I have bought these signals in two batches, the first a few years ago and another 3 last year.  I've had problems with the second batch due to their being extremely bright.  I contacted Bournemouth Model Centre (the supplier) and they agreed that the boards needed bigger resistors (my signals are the non-DCC variety).  But it took nearly 3 months for them to do the repair work.

Although the brightness has been reduced there's still a problem with light bleed.  Look at a signal from anything other than the driver's view and there's a real problem.  A 3-aspect showing yellow appears to have all 3 lights showing yellow.  I don't have this problem at all with a couple of Berko signals that I have.  With the DCC variety you can reduce the brightness via CVs, but I don't know whether you can avoid the light bleed.

Archived