Hornby mk1 bogies

Got four of Hornbys newish mk1s and I need to change the bogies to B4 and commonwealth ones. I'm sure there is a way do to this but I have just not found it. If anyone knows how to do this or have done it can you post how to do it as I'm at a bit of an end with this one. I know Bachmann do replacement ones that just swap over but as far as I know Hornby don't

The bogies are a push in clip fit into the floor. But they appear to be a tight fit to remove.

Best to remove the body by releasing the clips that go through the oblong holes in the floor and then squeeze together the bogie clips.

Railroad%20Bogie%20Fitting_zpshr12o4wn.j

I swapped the Hornby bogies off their earlier MK1s for Bachmann bogies.  It was relatively straightforward.  I just had to purchase some suitably sized nuts and bolts from the local hardware store.  I have also swapped Bachmann B1 for B4 and Commonwealth - they are completely interchangeable.  For the cost of a pair of Bachmann bogies - just go for it and see what nuts and bolts you need with perhaps a packing washer for the top of the bogie to adjust the ride height.

Regards

Ray

Archived