Recommendations for pick-ups?

hartleymartin

I'm building a new chassis for my Tower Models 0-4-0 Barclay (7mm scale) I've got the motor, gearbox and flywheel sorts (Mashima 1824D, 54:1 gearset and 16mm wide x 8mm long flywheel - custom made) but I need to figure out what to do about pick-ups. The kit originally had lengths of phosphor-bronze strip  rubbing on the backs of the wheels, but I would like to know if there are other pickups such as the plunger variety which anyone would recommend.

The long term plan is to eventually fit DCC with sound and a stay-alive/keep-alive unit so I am looking more for something with reasonably low friction if possible.

There's no need to be concerned about friction, the motor supplies ample power to overcome the small drag from wiping contacts. Wipers from phosphor bronze or nickel silver strip or wire are well proven, easy to bioth fabricate and adjust. If you feel a real need for the lowest friction, solder on a small piece of gold as the contact point. I use a link from an old fine chain for this purpose, worrthwhile on unpowered wheels.

Hi Martin

If your new gearbox is a worm and gear variety, it will have more inherent friction than any type of pickup as worm drives are, by their nature, inefficient.

My own Tower Barclay is quite happy with the original chassis (even if the angle of the cylinders is a bit off) and phosphor-bronze pickups.  All that lovely body weight makes sure that good contact is maintained with the track - important with a four-coupled loco.

The real challenge in fitting DCC sound is finding space for a good speaker - I think one of the more recent "sugar cube" types between the frames may be the solution.  There is plenty of room in the boiler/saddle tank casting for a decoder - I used a Digitrax DH123 1.5 amp decoder (no sound).

Regards.

I've looked at Jim McGowen's tips on using Slater's plunger pick-ups. I might give these a try as I feel rather more secure about fitting something through a hole that is otherwise hidden between the frames. I still have the strips of phosphor bronze to try out if I decide that I don't like these.

Looking at their construction, I wonder if it is possible to adapt 4mm scale sprung buffers... assuming that i have a set somewhere!

• 4 weeks later...

Normal commercial plunger pickups will not survive a same side short such as approaching a live frog point set against the loco on DCC.  They are fine on DC and dead frogs,   Fabricating your own plungers with a more substantial spring, maybe an alternator brush? would e a much better option but it needs to take shock loadings up to 4 amps on DCC.

Archived