driving trailer coach sets

bluedepot

Hi everyone,

I just watched a video of a bb 67400 in en voyage livery and it had a low-height 3 car coach set behind it with a driving trailer  (the video was in Auvergne, present day).

Does anyone know what this coaching/trailer set is likely to have been, and can you get it in HO? 

Sorry for the newbie question!  I have seen these low height trailer sets in France in the 80s - present day on various holidays but never really looked at them in any detail or learned what the various types are.  I was always more interested in the loco pushing or pulling them.

Cheers,

Tim

The RIB sets were for use in the Paris region (B = "Banlieue" = Suburbs), the RIO sets were for use further afield, mostly between Paris and neighbouring regions, but also within other regions across France. The RIO sets were eventually sold to Romania IIRC, whereas the the RIB sets were modernised (as much as you can modernise a tin can) and are still in use around Paris.

There's a Lima RIO set on eBay at the moment, although it's in average condition (nothing too catastrophic though). It's in the livery that was applied to regional trains in the north (Calais / Picardie region) and it would have usually been hooked up to a BB 67000 as below, or a BB 16000 in electrified territory.

JB

Edit: Just noticed - I've bought from the seller before and he's a good'un.

VDR20110316_2535.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Where did I say they were Hornby? I stated that Hornby must be rubbing their hands at getting back into a lucrative market in which customers are happy to part with 60 notes for a coach. The fact that this particular manufacturer has, for some reason, elected to pre-install a separate DCC chip in each coach probably doesn't help to keep the retail price down.

£180 for three coaches - Hornby must be rubbing their hands at having got back into the French market. This is why I model British...

In some respects I would agree with you, but for me I'm happy to purchase quality models from the german manufacturers.

Yes, I pay a premium which may go against the pockets of the average British modeller, however I believe in well detailed models which please me.

Each to their own eh!

Archived