Hi All

Can anyone help with photo's of Horley (Surrey) Signal Box while it was still in use or after closure, which I believe was around 1968 ? - I have only found one photo of the box in the book "Surrey revisited Then and Now" on page 45 - this photo shows the box as Horley A - was there another box south of Horley Station ?.

Would also be Interested in seeing photo's of any Signal box between Redhill and Gatwick.

Cheers.

Bob.

• RMweb Premium

There was Horley B on the south side of the station adjacent to the down fast line.  There is a poor picture of it in picture 98 of the Middleton Press book Southern Main Lines - East Croydon to Three Bridges.

Various signal boxes including two or three at Redhill and Earlswood appear in the pages of this very useful book as well.

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Can anyone help with photo's of Horley (Surrey) Signal Box while it was still in use or after closure, which I believe was around 1968 ? - I have only found one photo of the box in the book "Surrey revisited Then and Now" on page 45 - this photo shows the box as Horley A - was there another box south of Horley Station ?.

Would also be Interested in seeing photo's of any Signal box between Redhill and Gatwick.

Cheers.

Bob.

What you need to remember is that the lines through Horley (including all lines between Ealswood & Brighton) recieved 4 aspect colour light signals with track circuit block featuring automatic signal sections as part of the 1932 BML electrification. As a consequence it is highly likely that one Horley box was solely retained to work the gooods yard connections with the other demolished.

Salfords retained its box to provide access into the yard while Earlswod station box was abolished as it was not needed under the new setup - (the goods facilities being provided adjacent to the junction signal box where the quarry lines pealed away from the Redhill ones)

Archived