Peco CDA ECC HOPPERS

35 Ark Royal

Hi i know this is probably in the wrong sub forum but i won't sure where to post it.

As my layout Westside is set i Cornwall in late 80's early 90's i was thinking of adding a few of theese to run in my Speedlink.However i must admit the price puts me of a bit as i think ??12 (Hattons price) is steep for a wagon.Does anybody know if there is an alternative? If not are they excellent wagons for the price? The pics i have seen of them look very good,but pictures can be made to look better than they realy are.So does anybody own any of theese either in this or EWS Livery?

Hi i was looking at adding a few of theese to run in my speeedlink as my layout Westside is set in Cornwall.However the price puts me of a bit at ??12 (Hattons Price) i think is a bt steep for a wagon.What if any alternativs are there? If i decide to buy some are they excellent wagons for the price? Do any others have any of theese and if so are they good value for money? As my layout is set in late 80's early 90's i would equire the EEC branded ones.

When i modelled oo i used to have the later Hornby ones and thought they were very good wagons and i think if memory serves were about ??8 a piece.

Most single axle Farish wagons are bween ??6 to ??10 max so i am surprised at the price of the Peco ones.

However i don't mind paying for quality,so your opinions valued.

Hi i know this is probably in the wrong sub forum but i won't sure where to post it.

As my layout Westside is set i Cornwall in late 80's early 90's i was thinking of adding a few of theese to run in my Speedlink.However i must admit the price puts me of a bit as i think ??12 (Hattons price) is steep for a wagon.Does anybody know if there is an alternative? If not are they excellent wagons for the price? The pics i have seen of them look very good,but pictures can be made to look better than they realy are.So does anybody own any of theese either in this or EWS Livery?

I own some in EWS livery. They look good but they are a bit lightweight and I ended up changing the wheels (Peco plastic ones) for metal disc coach wheels. Otherwise no problems - depending upon the location you may well want a ferryvan or two at one end. That price does seem quite steep.

• RMweb Gold

Peco products generally are a little more expensive than Bachmann, though are 100% British made, which as to count for something these days, I guess.

The CDAs (and their HAAs) are very nice models indeed and compare well with the Farish hoppers, though lack the NEM socket and metal wheels. That said, I've never had any problems with the nylon wheels on Peco wagons.

ISTR, Peco produced the MGR and CDA variants in response to modellers demands following the demise of the Minitrix range.

If you know it's wrong, why not just ask advice of someone first, especially before duplicating your query?

Running topics like this with parallel replies doesn't help you, respondents or other readers. It contributes in its way to make the forum untidy and causes needless work.

Now merged.

I think Bachmann may have been planning to do a CDA at one point, but shelved the plans when Peco did theirs. The alternative would be to convert Bachmann HAAs using a resin conversion kit that was available a while ago. But when you've factored in those, paint, transfers etc, you're probably better off just buying the Peco ones!

Since I model the Cornish main line, I've got two full rakes (EWS and ECC). For such an essential signature item for the area, they're worth the money for me!

I think Bachmann may have been planning to do a CDA at one point, but shelved the plans when Peco did theirs. The alternative would be to convert Bachmann HAAs using a resin conversion kit that was available a while ago. But when you've factored in those, paint, transfers etc, you're probably better off just buying the Peco ones!

Since I model the Cornish main line, I've got two full rakes (EWS and ECC). For such an essential signature item for the area, they're worth the money for me!

The Peco hoppers are definately worth the money , for what is arguably of the most accurate RTR model of an MGR family based wagon.

For a laugh - check out the rrp on a Hornby OO gauge CDA - then consider its innacurate in virtually every way possible (ok , its got the right number of wheels). The little Peco ones are lovely, although im not keen on the plastic wheels myself - some metal wheels - fitted with a brake disc at opposite corners , and they look fantastic! - they are more expensive than a farish wagon of the same size - but you do get an extremely handy little plastic box with the peco wagon aswellwink.gif

I kep all my track pins , fishplates and railk chairs in 'em !

tfn

jon

To Mod 2 i thought those comments were a little harsh i did not mean to cause you more work as when i did that original post i found the right place to post this so thought i had deleted it.I have been having major computer problems which resulted in my hard drive going and having to buy a complete new computer.This is why i thought i had deleted the first post when in actual fact i had not.I now have a new computer so will not duplicate any more posts.It seems to me that people are not allowed to make mistakes which in the event was beyond my control.For everyone else thankyou.

To Mod 2 i thought those comments were a little harsh i did not mean to cause you more work as when i did that original post i found the right place to post this so thought i had deleted it.

Fair enough Ark, maybe they were a little. My original point still stands though, if somebody is in doubt where to post, we'd prefer to be asked first rather than just dropping across things that a poster admits is wrong.

Cheers.

• 3 months later...

Archived