Darlington Exhibition - Remember Us?...

DaveC46026

Sorry. One disadvantage of a small layout is the limited space available "out front" and this, as  we found out today was compounded by being on the footplate.

Strange as it may seem Croft Depot sometimes needs to run with three "operators" and the three can be fully occupied. That's one to operate the layout or help a show visitor to have a go at shunting, whilst two can be busy answering questions. A lot  of questions get asked about the history of the prototype and a lot of questions about the modelling techniques Axlebox (The layouts owner and builder.) has employed.

If the 3 operators were in the cab of the Q7 it wouldn't leave room for many more so today we tried one operator in the cab but then it becomes hard to run trains and answer questions at the same time.

If you are there tomorrow call on bye. We'll try to accommodate everyone.

P

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

On behalf of the club I would just like to say thank you to all who kindly gave up their weekend to come and exhibit (one in a location never done before??!!) and those that visited and passed on nice comments about the show.

As a test event and with any new venue (yes we have held open days at the museum before but nothing of this size) we had a few bugs and issues to solve during set up but on the whole it seamed to work well which is good.

So Thank you all again for the support.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I thoroughly enjoyed the show in an interesting location. Thank you.

I do hope that you can, at least, repeat this next year or even use it as the starting point on the journey to another full exhibition.

I was looking to go but had hours in at work all this weekend. Its nice to know this club is making a return a return to the scene. The last few shows done in various venues indeed raised the standard of what should be expected and what the north east is capable of showing. 

Hope it goes from strength to strength and indeed, makes a regular return to the diaries of many! 

Well done Darlington MRC. Welcome Back! 

If I may through the medium of RM web  reflect the previous thanks of others to all those that made past weekend something rather special and unique from those involved with Croft Depot.

Lets hope the weekend was successful enough for all those involved with the organisation of the event to contemplate more shows in years to come with the Darlington show becoming a permanent entry in peoples diaries once again.

There can't be many Model Railway show venues that has a small railway preservation Group  next door, that can boast the Words first and still operating public railway being literally inches away. Where else can you get a service train right to the doorstep?  Where else can you jump on a train and within minutes and just two short stops away alight in the middle of a large (and soon to be extended) national railway museum?

Less than a minutes walk to the west there is an operating loco works building and maintaining steam locomotives.

Pie in the sky thinking on my part but if all these places could be opened up for a coordinated weekend railway "stuff" would people turn up. maybe in droves.

Purely a personal opinion but North Road Railway Museum is a great venue for a Model Railway Exhibition. Like all publicly funded museums, it is probably underfunded, definitely underrated, and underused. I'm hoping this weekends show is just the start of bigger and better things to come.

Once again thanks to all of those that organised the weekend.

A couple of snaps taken today.

Not many places you can contemplate spending a pre-decimalisation penny, but you can at North Road.

post-508-0-96411100-1441587888.jpg

Trains within Trains. One of the quieter pre opening moments due to MR Simpsons gob being full bacon & sausage.

post-508-0-18163100-1441587896.jpg

The running road.

post-508-0-35716700-1441587891.jpg

Name board.

post-508-0-79524400-1441587893.jpg

P

Archived