Peter, I'm going to jump in here, I too am here in Melbourne. Have you found BRMA, we have meetings all over Melbourne each month, some of your questions and problems could be solved face to face at one of the meetings. It is cheap each year and you even get 4 mags a year which are all from an Australian perspective on modelling the railways of the UK.

The web address for BRMA.asn is the web site!

Good luck with your modelling.

Peter, I'm going to jump in here, I too am here in Melbourne. Have you found BRMA, we have meetings all over Melbourne each month, some of your questions and problems could be solved face to face at one of the meetings. It is cheap each year and you even get 4 mags a year which are all from an Australian perspective on modelling the railways of the UK.

The web address for BRMA.asn is the web site!

Good luck with your modelling.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for that, I had not heard of that. I had been considering joining either AMRA or the Essendon Model Rail Club, as I have a friend who goes there, however this seems like a much better option. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Regards,

Peter

Hi all,

A timetable has been configured. It runs for a 7 day period, from 8:00AM on Monday to 21:00 on Sunday. During this period 97 trains run. Trains designated with an odd number are freight trains, even numbers are passengers, and even numbers with an A suffix are DMU hauled services. Please tell me if I should change anything. That is almost 14 trains a day.

Peter

Dragging up a very old post, but the freight service seems very frequent to me. Not that I'm all that familiar, but the facilities you've got seem more of the one or two trains a day level, rather than the 5 or 6 in your timetable.

Dragging up a very old post, but the freight service seems very frequent to me. Not that I'm all that familiar, but the facilities you've got seem more of the one or two trains a day level, rather than the 5 or 6 in your timetable.

Hi Zomboid,

I was actually waiting to see if anyone commented on that, i did think that it was rather a lot, but I was waiting to see what everyone else thought about it. I will change it to closer to 6 trains a day rather than the 14 I had initially planned. The base idea of that was that the Dunoon Steamer Pier also got a lot of traffic that was taken to the pier, both freight and passenger, so not all the 'active' rolling stock would need to be on the scenic section - I can have 1-2 trains in the 'steamer pier' offscene. Also while it was originally planned as a branchline terminus, the space available means it is also a main line terminus, as it has 4 platform tracks, a double track main line as well as turntable and engine shed.

Peter

Don't change anything on my account, I'm thousands of miles away, I'll almost certainly never see the layout. And run as frequent a service as you like. If you've got a credible reason to run a highly frequent service then that's grand, if not then you can invoke rule 1.

Don't change anything on my account, I'm thousands of miles away, I'll almost certainly never see the layout. And run as frequent a service as you like. If you've got a credible reason to run a highly frequent service then that's grand, if not then you can invoke rule 1.

Hi Zomboid,

I have now brought it down to an average of 7.5 trains a day, down from 14 a day. The least services are on sunday, with 6 trains running, and the most on saturday with 9 trains running. Monday, Wednesday and Friday have 8 a day, and Tuesday and Thursday have 7. I am attaching the timetable as a JPG image. 

post-25748-0-23043200-1432164401.jpg

Please let me know what you think of it.

EDIT** Trains with the suffix A are DMU services, and ones marked with a B go to the Dunoon steamer pier for offloading freight. I will be running a 'shuttle' service once an hour to the steamer pier anyway. Also train numbers that are even are passenger services, and odd numbers are freight.

Regards,

Peter

First thing to note is that I'm not in any way an expert on this subject, but I do find timetabling more interesting than I really ought to...

The number of freight trains seems more in keeping with the size of your goods yard.

In terms of passenger, I suggest digging up the timetable for a similar location at the appropriate time and seeing what happened in reality. I don't know anything about dunoon, but have a look at Windermere as an example, if you can.

Pier services would probably not have been hourly, but would run to connect with boats and trains, so maybe come up with a timetable for the boats as well, even though they're off scene. Then tweak things such that a main line train or trains connects with the boat, via the pier shuttle.

Where do the boats go? Somewhere in the western isles? How often do they run? Are there any through trains (or even better, portions of arriving trains) that go there?

Hi all,

Last night I completed track laying. I am now going to leave it until tomorrow lunch time so that the glue has enough time to cure properly. After that I will continue work on the bus wires, and concentrate on making sure I can get full power to the first board. I will wire up one board at a time, so I have time to locate faults properly. I am designing the layout to work both as 3 seperate boards and 1 whole unit, which makes isolating faults and short-circuits a lot easier.

Peter

EDIT** I am currently in bed with a bad cold so I will not be able to work on the layout until at least Sunday at the earliest.

Hi all,

Yesterday the second lot of buildings were purchased. These included the Superquick goods shed x2 for spicing etc, 2 Superquick Island platforms for the island platform, and a Metcalfe Mainline Station. This is along with a pack of 4 Hornby Station lights, and the loading dock/crane which has now been weathered using Tamiya black spray paint, along with all the wagons for the layout. Most have been very heavily weathered. Also purchased was another Hornby Railroad Mk1 coach in Crimson and Cream, bringing to coach rake up to 4 coaches. I will post photos as soon as I locate the whereabouts of the ipad.

Peter

Now

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hornby-SKALEDALE-R8696-OO-Scale-Police-Box-/271875523300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f4d0b42e4 

Do I want Daleks, Cybermen, Autons or the Master!!!! :jester:  :jester:

Probably a Dalek (or 3)

DEFINITELY HAVING A DOCTOR WHO CAMEO IN THE LAYOUT NO ARGUMENTS :triniti:

Now, where do I find a OO scale Dalek???  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Peter

Last night saw the half completion of a project I have been working on - repainting/detailing of a Hornby RR class 08. I have now painted it into BR Black with the Early Emblem adjorning its sides. I now just need the owner (a friend of mine) to order the number decals and get some Matt Varnish spray as the gloss black I have used looks to 'toy train' like for me. While it belongs to the friend, I am borrowing it on a long term loan for testing Dunoon, as it is DCC fitted (it came in the Mixed Goods train set), and it also has the shortest wheelbase of all the locos I have except for the Z7 which still needs DCC chipping.

The goods shed is half finished, and I will extract the photos from my Ipad as soon as I get home from school. The central building for the station is nearly complete, with just the roof to go.

The goods shed as I said is 2 Superquick kits which I am splicing together for a double length shed. So far I am satisfied with my job at splicing it, and if it is successful I may eventually do the same to a Metcalfe shed as the Metcalfe kits are far more superior, albeit triple the price. The reason I chose the Superquick kits for this is because I didnt want to spend over 30 pounds on kits and then muck it up, much better to spend the 10 on the Superquick kits, and do a good job of it.

With any luck the goods shed will be finished tonight and quite possibly the station as well.

Peter

Hi all,

Last night I completed the majority of the station building and the goods shed. The station building just requires one more section added, and the canopy, and the goods shed just requires the roof. I have also set up a computer 'bank' on my work desk, so I can monitor facebook, have Railmaster open, and use the Ipad to facetime my associate (the owner of the CL08). With any luck these buildings will be done tonight, and I will be able to spend my day off school on Friday to finish wiring up the first board. Sadly, the 08 has developed a fault, and needs to be taken in for servicing. As soon as it is back I will be able to test the layout on DCC, for now I will need to use my friends Pendilino (yes I know it is about 50 years too late) or DC testing with the L1 and the CL108.

I will post images of the buildings when I get home from school.

Peter

Below is an image of the computer bank - 

post-25748-0-72613700-1432680884_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

You've made me smile Peter as for once you're showing your age... Not many people on here would have the sentence "...so I can monitor facebook ... and use the Ipad to facetime my associate."

It's really good to see someone of your age on here. I'm doing quite a bit with my nephew (though he's only ten at the moment) and it's always good to see younger people involved as normally at shows or on here I'm at the young end of the group (and I'm in my mid 40s!). I've been using your posts as an example for him. Soplease keep up the involvement, and the posting!

Kind regards, Neil

PS... while I do use Facebook I don't think I'd ever go as far as saying that I monitor it :)

You've made me smile Peter as for once you're showing your age... Not many people on here would have the sentence "...so I can monitor facebook ... and use the Ipad to facetime my associate."

It's really good to see someone of your age on here. I'm doing quite a bit with my nephew (though he's only ten at the moment) and it's always good to see younger people involved as normally at shows or on here I'm at the young end of the group (and I'm in my mid 40s!). I've been using your posts as an example for him. Soplease keep up the involvement, and the posting!

Kind regards, Neil

PS... while I do use Facebook I don't think I'd ever go as far as saying that I monitor it :)

Well Neil,

I always love to have a laugh looking at all the mistakes and errors my less intelligent and mature classmates make! :O

They didnt even know what a model train was when I asked a few of them!!! What on earth are they doing with their lives???  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :O

Peter

With very few exceptions, shedplates on steam engines were fitted low down on the smokebox doors. Here's an example - the shedplate here is "52D" - https://www.flickr.com/photos/80572914@N06/7388463002/lightbox/

The smartass answer to that would be "at different times, Wemyss Bay, Greenock Princes Pier or Greenock Ladyburn". However, since they were all on the other side of the River Clyde from Dunoon, that wouldn't be of much use to you.

You've said your line was taken over by the LNER at the Grouping. In BR days, that would almost certainly have meant that a Dunoon engine shed would have been in the 65 district, under Glasgow Eastfield (65A). The physically closest 65 district shed to Dunoon would have been at Arrochar, but that was only a sub-shed of Eastfield i.e. it did not have a separate code. I would suggest a Dunoon shed would either have been a sub-shed of Eastfield - engines used here would have had shedcodes of "65A" or, if the Dunoon shed was considered big enough and/or far enough away from Eastfield to merit its own code, it could have had a code of 65L, after any real-life code used for 65 district sheds.         

Hi,

Just gone and done a whole ton of research, Arrochar was a sub-shed of 65H Helensburgh, so wouldnt it make more sense to put plates for 65H on 60012? Frrochar only became a sub-shed of 65A Eastfield in 1959, however that is at the far end of my modeling spectrum.

Peter

Hi all,

Yesterday saw the fitting of the legs to Dunoon. While the legs are only 75cm high, or approximately 2'5.5", it is at an optimum height for sitting down to operate and watch it, and also allow people to take birds eye views of the layout in operation. I also fitted the last of the 3 sections of the Metcalfe station building together, which only leaves the platform and platform canopy to go. I will not fit the buildings until all the point motors are fitted, as I have to flip the layout upside down to fit the point motors and wiring. There are 11 point motors which remain to be fitted, and 1 polarity switch, along with a packet of point motor mounting plates. These will be fitted as soon as purchased, so wiring can be completed. Tonight I will be fitting the first control panel to the layout, the panel for board 1. Here is a current review of the layout - 

1/6th of the wiring has been completed. Negative wires for board 1 all wired up.

4 out of 15 point motors fitted. 1 out of 15 wired up. 0 out of 15 ready for motorised operation

Buildings purchased - Station. Parcels Office. Waiting Room. Platform. Engine Shed. Signal Box. Goods Shed. Platform Overbridge.

Buildings under construction - Parcels Office. Station. Platform

Buildings needed - Coal office. Coal staithes. Water Tower. Coaling Stage

Track laid - All. 2 sections need re-laying.

Turntable operational - NO

Turntable wired - YES

Rolling Stock - 

1x Hornby L1 67777. Operational, DC. KD fitted

1x Bachmann CL108DMU. Operational, DC. KD fitted.

1x Hornby A4 4469 Gadwall. Operational, DCC Sound. KD fitted

2x Hornby Mk1 coach. KD fitted

1x Bachmann Stanier parcels van. KD fitted

1x Hornby Hawksworth BSK. KD fitted

1x Bachmann 5 plank wagon. KD fitted

1x Bachmann 7 plank wagon. KD fitted

1x Hornby Insulfish van. KD fitted

1x Hornby 5 plank wagon. KD fitted

1x Hornby oil tank wagon. non KD fitted

That is the current status of the layout. I hope to get board 1s wiring complete tonight, and then do a board every two nights, one night for positive, one for negative. After that I will purchase the remaining 1 polarity switch and the point motor mounting plates. They will be mounted and wired in. After that I will be finishing the buildings. If everything goes to plan that will be done by the end of June, as I have another 6 and a half kits to make, before I even get the coal office etc.. I will then spend a month testing the layout and making sure everything runs smoothly. Once that is done I will fit all the buildings and move to ballasting the layout. I am planning to use N gauge ballast as from what I have heard it is slightly more to scale and easier to use than the OO scale ballast. I will use a mixture of ash, grey and white ballast.

I will post some photos tonight, as they are on my Ipad and I am currently at school. 

Please feel free to let me know what you think, and ask any questions about the layout. There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

Peter

I will post some photos tonight, as they are on my Ipad and I am currently at school.

There's a lot going on Peter.  It will be nice to see some photos of the (rapid) progress you are making.

Posting from school eh?  I hope you are not neglecting that important school work :nono:

There's a lot going on Peter.  It will be nice to see some photos of the (rapid) progress you are making.

Posting from school eh?  I hope you are not neglecting that important school work :nono:

No I am not!

exams in 2 weeks but 2 free periods a week, gotta have a break sometimes

Hi,

Been a week or so since I last posted so thought I should give an update.

The station building and signalbox has been finished. New legs have been purchased to replace the old ones, which were A) too short and B) too thin. In comparison, the old legs were 64x19x750mm, the new ones are 42x42x900mm. This also brings the height up a little bit. The footbridge is half finished, and I plan to finish it tonight. After that, I will finish the parcels office which I started 3 weeks ago! and the waiting room. Once that is done it only leaves the engine shed to be made, and the roof fitted on the goods shed. I have also made another 120x60cm board, this time for the control board/workspace. Half of it is occupied by a workbench area, the other half by a switchboard and the laptop/elink. Along the back is a small test track, and a programming track. I will post some photos tonight as long as I do not get tied up tidying the train room again or fitting the new legs to the track boards. I have also done a bit more wiring, and wiring on board 2 is 70% finished. Wiring on board 1 needs to be redone, and a set of points and a double slip need replacing due to damage during transport. In light of the damage, I purchased a sheet of Copper clad PCB sheet, and am cutting it to size, nailing it to the board and soldering the rails at each end of each board. I have finished one half on the second board, and will finish that board when I get the replacement points and double slip. I will also get the last components for the point motors, and try to get them finished over the next 2 weeks. With any luck, I will have the wiring complete by mid-july, and have trains running at that time. Also I apologise for the lack of images, as I have been busy over the last week with exam revision, as my exams go from today to thursday. After then I should be back into regular updates and images.

Please feel free to ask questions.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!
Part of my present arrives tonight and am getting Train Sim 2015 on Friday!!!!!!

Now for a new year and lots more work on Dunoon! I am currently editing a video to go onto youtube and I will post it here as soon as it is online.

the now 14 year old PETER

And a picture of all the wagons currently operational for Dunoon. 2 more Railroad coal wagons are on the way in roughly the style of the red one. I started with a 3 pack of 8 plank wagons. I now have 2 8 plan wagons and a 7 plank. I am also modifying the frames completely and attaching NEM pocket moldings to them, and I will be completely re-doing the chassis with whitemetal buffers, finer brake detail and all metal wheels. I will quite possibly make moldings of my new wagon chassis to use on future wagons, and once they are complete I am considering selling them as replacement kits for the Hornby wagons, as they will be effectively entirely new chassis - the only original part will be the axlebox and actual underframe - all the buffers, brake gear etc will be replaced by myself, and already on the one ready for service I have fitted Kadee couplers, and removed the shunters steps, as I find they are bulky and detract from the look of the overall wagon. All the coal wagons (all 8 of them including the 2 railroad ones currently being modified) will be fitted with a fake coal load, which will be given a coating of real coal. I aim to eventually have a 15 wagon coal train, as coal traffic is one of my areas of interest. Below are images of the modified wagon in red, the unmodified wagon in LMS grey, and all the KD fitted coal wagons in a rake on Dunoon.

post-25748-0-29982500-1434931933.jpg

post-25748-0-59598900-1434931940.jpg

post-25748-0-95992600-1434931966.jpg

Hi

I have done a bit of work on the layout, and have now divided the images into folders as appropriate. Here are some photos of scenarios I have devised around the one area where all the main buildings have been placed, which is around the turntable. I will continue to name and date/edit all the images as appropriate

Hi

I have done a bit of work on the layout, and have now divided the images into folders as appropriate. Here are some photos of scenarios I have devised around the one area where all the main buildings have been placed, which is around the turntable. I will continue to name and date/edit all the images as appropriate

post-25748-0-31088300-1435012725_thumb.jpgpost-25748-0-32906600-1435012731_thumb.jpgpost-25748-0-87926700-1435012750_thumb.jpgpost-25748-0-26447800-1435012773_thumb.jpgpost-25748-0-83997300-1435012791_thumb.jpgpost-25748-0-78082000-1435012817_thumb.jpgpost-25748-0-57458500-1435012839_thumb.jpgpost-25748-0-30048000-1435012857_thumb.jpgpost-25748-0-70611400-1435012881_thumb.jpg

Archived