How are these getting on Tim; I happen to know you have done rather more......................

Rather slowly!  Work and other things have been getting in the way, to a degree.  Pics to follow after Scaleforum this weekend, but the loco is a runner (albeit without pickups yet) and I've managed to solve a little issue I had with the centre axle.

He's too busy playing with organs....

Ahem

Indeed, though that's had to be put on hold until my health improves.....

I'll let the lad tell you himself, but suffice it to say that a milestone was passed today.

You mean they moved under their own power or did Tim feel well enough to attend S4um? Or even both?

Both!!  Many thanks indeed to Phil Baxendale for providing a tender (yes, I know!) for pickup purposes.  The more complete of the pair, 69538, made a successful maiden run on the test tracks this afternoon.  Next job is to add a fair amount of ballast weight, as advised in Mr B's instructions, and get the radial truck fitted and bearing weight.

No photos, sadly, but I do feel rather vindicated by my decision to do these in P4 and indeed going for this particular chassis.  The fiddly nature of it all and the time taken to get them running is well worth it though.

Now to recover from the weekend.....

• 1 year later...

Well it's been a long time since I did anything on this topic.....  Many thanks to Andy Y for moving it across to a different board for me.  There has been progress in the last year or so since, but other things have got in the way in the ensuing time and I've only recently got back to working on the pair (together with the other two I also have).

A length of 3/32" copper rod was procured from Hobby Holidays at the CMRA show this year, which gave me the mojo boost I needed to sort the condensing pipes.  The kit includes pipe flanges (both styles) for two diameters of rod, though I actually needed to use the 2.5mm I/D ones in this instance.  Although it's reasonably soft, I still needed to make some forming jigs to allow them to be bent into sharper angles, so as not to damage the rod in the process.  Two 1mm holes spaced 20mm apart allow me to position them onto suitable lengths of corresponding rod, set into a block of wood.

Here is the resulting pair of finished pipes, one of each style, together with their respective forming jigs.  These were made from two pieces of 60 thou plasticard, laminated together and then sized to suit.  The curves were worked out by a combination of the Mk1 eyeball and the old Hornby pipes.

post-6712-0-55220400-1488490018_thumb.jpg

The early style, as fitted to 69538.

post-6712-0-28826400-1488490144_thumb.jpg

The later style, as fitted to 69591.

post-6712-0-74214500-1488490243_thumb.jpg

A further view of 69538, showing the wheels fitted, as alluded to in my previous posting on the matter.  I need to rejig how I have the gearbox yoke in this one, which is partly why progress stalled.  Letting the "little grey cells" think on it for a while has helped to a degree, but I've not got round to doing a revised idea in the other chassis as yet.

post-6712-0-48366800-1488490744_thumb.jpg

Overall, I'm happy with how things have turned out til now.  I still need to make the pipes for both the other sides, but this was more of a proof of concept.  I'd forgotten how hot copper can get once it's been interviewed by a 45W iron.....

Looking good. You will reduce that beading on the front splasher, won't you, please? Drives me mad! 

Once I get other tasks out of the way, almost certainly yes!  There's a little of little niggles with the tooling that almost seems endless at times....

• RMweb Premium

Once I get other tasks out of the way, almost certainly yes!  There's a little of little niggles with the tooling that almost seems endless at times....

I know what you mean. Mine is still stalled on the s.box door. I've sliced it off and adding a backing ring to it, but still need to work out a way of doing the hinge ends. 

My plan was to use Hornby J52 injectors, by the way. I got a body cheap off ebay and they seem right. 

I know what you mean. Mine is still stalled on the s.box door. I've sliced it off and adding a backing ring to it, but still need to work out a way of doing the hinge ends. 

My plan was to use Hornby J52 injectors, by the way. I got a body cheap off ebay and they seem right.

I might suggest you drop Graeme (King) an email/PM, because he does the very door you're after.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, I made the master for him, because I needed a quantity of them.  It merely drops into the original space.

Have a look at MRJ No. 20. if you can get hold of one. Useful article by Allan Sibley on the N2's plus an interesting photograph of 69579, and as far as I am aware the only one, at the time, fitted with leaf springs under the centre driver. Regards. Serron.

As luck would have it, I have a copy of that very article.  It's useful reading, though anything chassis-related is largely irrelevant, due to using the (much newer) Bradwell chassis.  Certain items are no longer available but they've been replaced in some cases by what I've produced for Graeme to cast up.

I think it's rather close, if not spot on, Graeme.  Certainly for the LNER period type, that is.  I wonder if you have a cunning plan for using one on something? ;)

No immediate plans due to lack of time, but it's a thought for possible future use.

Archived