If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Using rusting paints on a RTR Weathered Locomotive

Hi. I have been thinking about this today, and wondered if it is possible (or not), if you can rust a weathered RTR locomotive, aka Bachmann Class 08 D3052. Now I have never rusted or a weathered a RTR locomotive before, and wondered if anyone can give me any advice about this question. 

The reason behind this question also, is a project of mine that requires rusting a locomotive, like the handrails etc to make it suitable for a fictious set in the far future of a 'what if' of a 'Gronk' in that time era. 

Thanks in advanced.

• RMweb Premium

There are literally hundreds of ways to achieve weathering/rusting effects. Take a look at the galleries and advice on this website!

My own preferred method is to airbrush first and highlight with powders and/or washes. People will swear by other methods( just as good results). Try experimenting first on an old wagon or similar till you are happy.

Thanks so far of the replies.

To add to this, I've wondered about plating for this project of mine which also includes the rust paints. Like grate type plating, plating sheets etc to fit where applicable on the 08 to present it to be over 200 years old, and wondered if anyone can also give me advice about what plating (if possible) to add to the 'Gronk' in question for this future timeline project of mine that I should get underway asap.

Much appreciated in advanced.

EDIT. Is ModelMates rust effect worth it?

...grate type plating, plating sheets etc to fit where applicable on the 08 to present it to be over 200 years old, and wondered if anyone can also give me advice about what plating (if possible) to add to the 'Gronk' in question for this future timeline project...

Two hundred years... Interesting idea! Apart from make-do-and-mend, Heaven knows what modifications might have been carried out. Solar panels? Woodburner? Monorail conversion? Tyres made of Wompom?

This obviously isn't going to be a deliberately pristine museum piece. So, what sort of society? Post apocalyptic? Or is your 08 running on a backwater in an otherwise advanced world? Some elaboration, please.

Edit: in fact, you don't mention if it's intended to be still running. Or do you mean abandoned? (Very little left of it after more than say fifty years of nature or cannibalisation/reclaiming.)

Archived