A Home for a Terrier

Sir Madog

Now that Dapol´s Terrier will soon be hitting the market, it´s about time to think of a worthy home for it.

Unfortunately, it won´t be a big home for that not so little doggie, as the space I have for a layout can not exceed 10´ by 2´ (in metric - 3.0m by 0.6m) - not much to give that fella the necessary exercise, but good enough for a little old fashioned shunting work.

Oh, I nearly forgot to tell - on the right side of the layout, it ha to narrow down to a foot - if I want to avoid issues with SWMBO.

I am not so keen about a sweet rural setting, industrial or urban is fine for me, but I have no idea how to come up with a layout design, which is rewarding to build, nice to look at and interesting to operate.

Is there anybody around willing to help me?

• RMweb Premium

Several of the Terriers worked the Newhaven harbour lines which included dock & quarry sidings,warehouses, tramway, swing bridges etc

Worth looking for old aerial photos & maps

Google will find photo & IRR article & plan from 1973

Dava

Several of the Terriers worked the Newhaven harbour lines which included dock & quarry sidings,warehouses, tramway, swing bridges etc

Worth looking for old aerial photos & maps

Google will find photo & IRR article & plan from 1973

Dava

I'd second something based on Newhaven. Try searching the 'ournewhaven' website for 'terrier'. Some cracking, inspirational pictures. http://www.ournewhaven.org.uk/category/searchgoogle.aspx?q=terrier

• RMweb Premium

Great photos of Newhaven & Terriers on the harbour line, lots of scope for a small layout here

My project is just 6 feet, see microlayouts

Dava

If you're into Light Railways, you could always do a little terminus. Run around loop and a couple of sidings is all you need. Perhaps something based on the "Timesaver" concept.

Or perhaps something based on Ffarquhar:

(Top right of the plan, shown on three modules here)

rm-1968-01-ffarquhar.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Just that the loco looks like a D1 (0-4-2 T larger version) than a Terrier to me.

I'm reading an old book on the Kent & East Sussex which was\is one of their true homes!

Dava

On the Gauge O Guild website you can find, under publications, their splendid book on small layout designs. As many of them have actually been built, they provide a realistic resource for mini layouts which should be operable.

There are two volumes.

Ed

I must obtain a copy of Volume 2!

Me too!

In the meantime, I have developed a first idea for a layout, based on an idea I think Ian Rice once put on paper for a "stacked" layout. I took the middle part and adapted it to O gauge and the space I have.

Terrier_Home_zpsqpcdjzut.jpg

I am not yet completely happy with it, but this is as good as I can do it at the moment. Your thoughts and amendments are highly appreciated!

Nice idea. I think I would make the engine shed a single track affair and extend the platform line to make a loop with the ersthwile shed line. Two loops would provide plenty of play operational flexibility.

Here is a scan of the Iain Rice stacked layout. I've always had a soft spot for this design. My favourite is the one with the exchange siding allowing the appearance of main-line and privately owned locos. I would however, reverse the crossover to the exchange siding taking it off a 3-way tandem on the industrial line.

post-13142-0-16425600-1427126995_thumb.jpg

I would tend to agree about having a second run round loop for the platform. Not sure you would even need a loco shed, maybe just coal & water. Possibly, use another 3-way on the right hand side to gain a bit more usable trackage.

(Just my thoughts.)

I think I would make the engine shed a single track affair and extend the platform line to make a loop with the erstwhile shed line.

ME2. The value of a run round on a passenger platform cannot be underestimated for operation appeal. Where as an extra road on a shed is just a place to hide a second loco. (just how many do you need/have on a layout this size before it starts to look more like an MPD.

I would also swap the first two points so that the passenger traffic has priority (1st point to go straight to the passenger platform) OK this will shorten the warehouse loop a little but the 3-way could also be moved a little to recover the length. But its your layout you know what is important to you.

I like the idea of having a passing siding at the station and also swapping the points at the right end of the layout. I have been trying to incorporate that into the track plan, but failed. I´d need minimum and extra 2 ft. for that, which I don´t have.

That looks more sensible to me- two shed roads is very much overkill, in fact one shed road probably is! I actually think it looks OK with the station loop points inside the goods yard loop points, and this allows you to run around a passenger train without the loco going "off scene" which is generally more satisfying to watch- obviously the freight shunt does involve an exit stage left but for some reason this seems better to me than the passenger shunt doing so- possibly because the passenger loop is in the foreground.

The main downside I can see is that you have a lot of pointwork and effectively only three shunting operations- loco on shed, passenger train in station, goods train under the loading dock (& potentially the rear FY road if you are treating that as an extended siding, bringing it up to four- but using that siding would involve moving the stock under the canopy).     

Archived