Work at Gare d'Austerlitz

John_Hughes

• 2 weeks later...

You're probably right. Bets on 2025? 2030? But to be fair, they do say it's "un des grands projets de ... Gares & Connexions", and in conjunction with the city of Paris it includes housing, offices, community facilities and shops in the Salpêtrière neighbourhood.

My Son has 20/20 vision - perhaps the SNCF missed off the forward slash*

*don't you just love that school-boy mischievous expression, now perfectly legal   :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Austerlitz is pretty scruffy with poor connections on to other transport modes. It has never really been right since the tracks (barrier line) were moved back to accommodate the lines through to Gare d'Orsay. The way that Metro Line 5 just bashes its way through the walls is pretty strange too.

Of course the station has also lost a lot of its former traffic due to competition from TGVs at Gare de Lyon and at Montparnasse serving destinations that were formerly served mainly from Austerlitz (Narbonne, Perpignan, Toulouse, Bordeaux etc).

Is there a website giving full details of what they are proposing to do? Wikipedia mentions extra platforms and diversion of TGV services there from Lyon and Montparnasse. Sounds as though passengers could get very confused.

There was talk some time ago (years, rather than months, that is) in the French railway press of Austerlitz possibly becoming an alternative or extra TGV terminus to relieve the Gares de Lyon and Montparnasse. This seems to have been quietly dropped - if it was not simply journalistic optimism in the first place.  Does anyone know any more about it?

Mike.

Better than French catering??????????

When the French eat well, they eat very well, and give themselves enough time to do so - I still have very fond memories of a lovely little place at Aubeterre-sur-Dronne which looked very ordinary and modest from the outside but where the meals were simply superb and slow.

But when they just grab a snack, it's often a different story! The trolley service on French trains is really about the same as on, say, FGW. In my experience, at least ;-)

When the French eat well, they eat very well, and give themselves enough time to do so - I still have very fond memories of a lovely little place at Aubeterre-sur-Dronne which looked very ordinary and modest from the outside but where the meals were simply superb and slow.

But when they just grab a snack, it's often a different story! The trolley service on French trains is really about the same as on, say, FGW. In my experience, at least ;-)

I wouldn't say it was even as good as FGW's offerings....

Regarding the future use of Austerlitz; at present, Bercy, the former Motorail station has taken almost all the non-TGV services. Whilst Austerlitz might seem a potential alternative terminus for perhaps the Bourbonnais (Clermont- Ferrand) services, there are no northbound direct connections between the former PLM and PO lines. There is potential for a link near Juvisy, but whether the will exists to build one, I wouldn't like to guess.

Austerlitz is pretty scruffy with poor connections on to other transport modes. It has never really been right since the tracks (barrier line) were moved back to accommodate the lines through to Gare d'Orsay. The way that Metro Line 5 just bashes its way through the walls is pretty strange too.

But that's exactly why I love Austerlitz!  There is (or was) something of "the station that time forgot" about the place.  Usually there were some vintage electrics to be found on pilot duties and, on an early visit, one of the last 2D2-5538 "old ladies" - one of my favourite types.  Arriving by Metro is just sublime...

But that's exactly why I love Austerlitz!  There is (or was) something of "the station that time forgot" about the place.  Usually there were some vintage electrics to be found on pilot duties and, on an early visit, one of the last 2D2-5538 "old ladies" - one of my favourite types.  Arriving by Metro is just sublime...

'Sublime' isn't a word I'd normally associate with the Paris Metro!

• RMweb Gold

'Sublime' isn't a word I'd normally associate with the Paris Metro!

I'm with Eddie on that. Paris Metro is just so much more interesting than London Underground as well as being generally more convenient and much cheaper to use.

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't say it was even as good as FGW's offerings....

Regarding the future use of Austerlitz; at present, Bercy, the former Motorail station has taken almost all the non-TGV services. Whilst Austerlitz might seem a potential alternative terminus for perhaps the Bourbonnais (Clermont- Ferrand) services, there are no northbound direct connections between the former PLM and PO lines. There is potential for a link near Juvisy, but whether the will exists to build one, I wouldn't like to guess.

It would not be difficult to create a link at Juvisy. But neither would it be very useful as it would go onto the ex-PLM route past the point at which TGVs branch off towards the LGV.

Any TGVs using Austerlitz would need to use new junctions onto the "ring" line that is currently used by Nantes - Lyon TGVs to the south of Paris.

It would seem more sensible for TGVs to use Bercy and the loco-hauled trains currently using Bercy to be diverted to the rebuilt/expanded Austerlitz.

Archived