Scratchbuilding a B15 in N

No, not a London and North Eastern Railway B15, a Boston & Maine B15. 140 of these 2-6-0 mixed traffic engines were built between 1903 and 1910. Some of them lasted until the end of steam in 1956 with one being preserved. They are probably the most iconic class of steam engine used by the B&M.

I will be building this to FS160 standards which are basically 2FS standards regauged to suit the correct 9mm gauge. I will use drivers and gears from the 2mm Association with a Nigel Lawton motor, probably the 8mm one.

I have an HO drawing, the same drawing reduced to 1:160, and an HO brass model to work from, as well as numerous pictures. I haven't chosen a specific prototype yet but it will be one of the 1400 series as they were scrapped later. I'll try to choose one that was a regular visitor to the Peterboro branch, as that's what I model.

I don't think I'll get any actual work done for a while, I'm got exams to study for and take first...

Here is the prototype:

2008040621201416130.jpg

This looks like a grown-up version of the Baldwin / Schenectady Moguls that were purchased by the Midland Railway (and the GNR, I think) for service in Britain.

It is an Alco product. Most were built in Manchester (NH) but the final batch were built in Schenectady. They were rebuilt gradually with superheaters and compound air pumps as well as electric generators and cab signals.

Here's an early photograph.

B%26M%20Steam%20059.jpg?height=493&width

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, I've started!

Got the frames half cut out and the gearing arranged.

Hello,

The last pic makes it look as though the worm gear is too close to the muff on the rear driving wheel axle. Presumably you have checked it will clear?

Nig H

Archived