Hornby class 56

markb

Evening every one

Today i brought a Hornby class 56 with front an rear lighting. When going one direction the head light's an rear light's are on only on one end an no rear light's the other ! :s appriciate any help or advice as to what it could be

Thank' mark

• RMweb Gold

More than likely the tiny little contacts between the body and the lighting circuit board are not lined up, these are notorious for being a swine to get right.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Iv'e just carefully took the body off it can't see a circuit board it does have a fair few wire's though :s

Mark

The lighting boards are hidden the cab fronts, it's the little wire spring contacts under the cabs that give trouble

A

I looked in the cab front no circuit board in there think mine is a rather basic one :/ Starting to think it was a bad buy in general :( it's now decided to start derailing on bend's for no obvious reason when other loco's are all fine . Have done a bit of searching appear's it may be based on a old Dapol 56.

• RMweb Gold

The old Dapol/mainline 56 has one bulb at each end so all the lights at one end, red and white, come on together.

Sorry, I assumed that you were talking about the new version 56 with the central motor and drive to all wheels.

Andi

That's ok :) sound's exactly like my 56. I thought is a bit strange how all the light's come on made me think is it how they are . Is it a hard job to make the rear light's work ? Im not great with electric's but can do basic bit's. Im learning slowly how to solder etc :)

• RMweb Gold

That's ok :) sound's exactly like my 56. I thought is a bit strange how all the light's come on made me think is it how they are . Is it a hard job to make the rear light's work ? Im not great with electric's but can do basic bit's. Im learning slowly how to solder etc :)

Are there no lights working at all at the one end?

If so then I would suspect that the bulb has blown.

Andi

It's rather strange this one:s all light's work but seem's to be like Hornby hst so they only work in the direction of travel . Might be like that but not sure

Mark

It's rather strange this one:s all light's work but seem's to be like Hornby hst so they only work in the direction of travel . Might be like that but not sure

Mark

I sold my exMainline Hornby model some years ago with the intention of buying one of the new ones, but never did get around to buying a new one... however, if memory serves, amongst all those wires are some capacitors so that when traveling in any given direction, the headlight should come on as well as the corresponding tail lights. When changing direction, obviously the opposite would happen.

If you've got a camera handy, perhaps a photo or two of the innards might help?

• RMweb Gold

Mark

The old type 56 as sold would have all lights on at the forward end and nothing at the back. This is as designed.

Andi

Ahh i see i did start to think that after taking the body off an having a look but was not 100% on it as heard of class 50's doing same thing . Think i might use black electrical tape over the red bit's so the bulb can't light it . Be good to get the red rear light's to work be a little project :)

Archived