Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Which LMS loco is this please

I have just brought this loco body (well 2 of them) off Ebay it was listed as a 4-6-2 loco but not all the parts were visable, also it came in a Wills Royal Scott Box

post-1131-12660765077907_thumb.jpg

Its not like either my K's black 5 or Jubilee, and Wills from memory only did an un-rebuilt Scott, so has anyone any idea who made the kit please.

I have just brought this loco body (well 2 of them) off Ebay it was listed as a 4-6-2 loco but not all the parts were visable, also it came in a Wills Royal Scott Box

post-1131-12660765077907_thumb.jpg

Its not like either my K's black 5 or Jubilee, and Wills from memory only did an un-rebuilt Scott, so has anyone any idea who made the kit please.

Hi,

Don't know who made it, but it looks like either a rebuilt Scot or rebuilt Patriot. It is definitely a 4-6-0, it does not have the sloping firebox which the pacifics had. No doubt some LMS expert can give you more info.

gresley

Pretty sure that is a short firebox Jubilee. Twin side window cab taper boiler LMS 4-6-0 can only be a Black5, Jubilee or rebuilt 2A boilered Jube/Pate and British Legion. Biggest clue is the number and position of firebox wash out and inspection plugs, with the four sections of boiler cladding, which means it cannot be a black 5, and as the boiler is too small to be a 2A, and with a single chimney to boot, it cannot be the rebuilt Pate/Jube or BL.

Didn't spot the chimbley, 5 washout plugs points to a SFB Jubilee. The boiler looked too big to me, which is why I went for a 2A-boilered loco, but I think you're right 34.

The boiler/firebox/smokebox are about 2mm longer than the K's and is 120mm longSmoke box 28mm boiler 57mm and firebox 35mm long, does this help ?

Guest oldlugger

Hello John!

I would say that it is a rather rough representation of a Jubilee (possibly the long firebox version). The smokebox appears to be too large for this class (but that might be the photo) and the dome is the wrong shape and too tall. It doesn't correspond to any of the prototype photos of unrebuilt and rebuilt Patriots that I've seen. I don't think it is a rebuilt Scot either. You've got a bit of work to do there to make it what it is supposed to be. I'm sure it will look very nice once finished, however!

All the best

Simon

Just been up into my loft and I have a Roche plan for a rebuilt Jubilee with an Eames Jubilee kit I have. The smokebox/boiler and firebox unit is about the same length. The position of the top feed differs and the chimney isa double one. I have a book on Jubilees and black 5's, so I will look through the pictures.

I have had a quick look through my W&H book and seen that McGowan did both rebuilt Jubilee and Patriot, picture is not too good but the top feed seens to be the same as the Roche drawing

Archived