Bachmann Class 08 with sound and brakes

pauliebanger

Here's a quick (less that 4 minutes) clip of a Bachmann 00 gauge Class 08 shunter to which I've installed a sound decoder, speaker and stay alive capacitor entirely within the engine room, leaving the cab without intrusion.

This is my new sound project which I think has turned out rather well. It includes provision for a Brake Key, which when pressed produces a progressive braking force to slow or stop the loco exactly where you wish.

http://youtu.be/jxPIFHyb5hQ

Kind regards,

Paul 

Was the hardwiring necessary for space reasons?

Yes. 

Alternatively, you could use the DCC socket and put speaker and capacitor in the cab, but that requires a lot more work cutting and drilling to get access for the wires back and forth to the decoder. Of course, the speaker and capacitor are then visible, something I find disappointing and unconvincing, especially when it can be avoided.

Full photo 'step by step guide' in Hornby Magazine next month, issue 95

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks for your reply.  Will check out your article...  how come the Hornby magazine for a Bachmann sound fitted loco?

Not as strange as it might seem.

Hornby Magazine is the second most popular monthly railway modelling magazine, owned by Key Publishing and is entirely independent of Hornby models. (I believe there is an arrangement to use the Hornby name, but that's the only connection).

Hornby Magazine covers all brands and popular scales, though reflecting the hobby as a whole, 00 gauge predominates.

HM is the spiritual home of DCC and was the first magazine to carry regular sound fitting features, and still does so every month.

So, sound installations to Bachmann, Heljan, ViTrains, Ixion and other independent manufactures' locos are covered regularly. I sometimes even feature Hornby models, too. Lol.

Next issue has a DCC sound supplement, so there are several different types and brands being given 'the treatment'.

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Here's a quick (less that 4 minutes) clip of a Bachmann 00 gauge Class 08 shunter to which I've installed a sound decoder, speaker and stay alive capacitor entirely within the engine room, leaving the cab without intrusion.

This is my new sound project which I think has turned out rather well. It includes provision for a Brake Key, which when pressed produces a progressive braking force to slow or stop the loco exactly where you wish.

http://youtu.be/jxPIFHyb5hQ

Kind regards,

Paul 

Test reply:

• 3 weeks later...

Good article by Paul in the current issue of Hornby Magazine about fitting the Zimo MX645 plus SC68 'stayalive' capacitor into a Hornby gronk. It compares with a MX648 plus 680mF capacitor in a Bachmann model.

My experience of the MX645 plus 'stayalive' has been exceptionally good. We had my 09 creeping across dead frog points on our Club layout at imperceptible speed. The ability to control the braking sounds and to use different modes (heavy train or light engine) is sublime.

In my opinion, by far the best on the market!

Andrew

Afraid the sound on this doesn't sound right at all.

The engine note on a 08 shouldn't change until you get well past notch 2. The power increase below this is all done through resistor banks. On the other hand I do like the traction motor whine, something which is apparent on quite a few jocko's.

I'll stick to Legomanbiffo at the moment.

Sam,

Thank you for your constructive comments. Users of this sound project will benefit from your insights. 

The video clip only shows a fraction of what this project is capable.

Those who have heard or operated my ZIMO diesel projects live will know that the ability to drive without the engine note increasing is a feature I always include, just press F6.

Alternatively, switch to 'Light Engine Mode' and the engine idling sound can be maintained automatically until higher road speeds are attained. (end users can decide the point at which the engine sound changes).

This alternative also has the advantage of automatically reducing the inertia and momentum settings so that a 'light engine' can actually accelerate and decelerate more quickly. I don't know of any ESU decoder, by any supplier, which can change these settings without having to re-program with different CV values.

This choice in how to operate allows end users to change the loco's behaviour to suit everyones individual needs. 

Mevaman.

The Brake Key does indeed control the braking sounds but that's not all it does.

If you hold it 'on' (or use latching) it also applies a progressive braking force which actually (dynamically?) slows or stops the model.

The real loco's are equipped with brakes which work (and are separate from the control lever/throttle) and so is this ZIMO project. Try it, you'll wonder how we managed without brakes up till now. Lol

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Just reading your articles on Hornby magazine, the 08 is very interesting. With regards the Sugar Cube chip, which way round is the best for it? Sound chamber wise I mean, your article shows it on the Hornby in one direction (sound chamber stuck to motor end)and in the Bachmann 08 it has the chamber facing outwards off the chip.

Ian

Hi Paul,

Just reading your articles on Hornby magazine, the 08 is very interesting. With regards the Sugar Cube chip, which way round is the best for it? Sound chamber wise I mean, your article shows it on the Hornby in one direction (sound chamber stuck to motor end)and in the Bachmann 08 it has the chamber facing outwards off the chip.

Ian

Ian,

Thank you for your comment.

Didn't find any difference in this instance. The orientation was decided by the need to avoid shorting the speaker terminals and by the ease in glueing the speaker enclosure to the Hornby (plastic) motor mounting bracket.

Adding a second speaker, possible in the Hornby, did make a difference, however.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Am just returned from sunnier climes, and finally managed to download Hornby Mag, with your articles on sound, like the guys above.

What is the spec for the Kapton tape that you show on the Hornby mod.? That looks like the perfect all-in-one tool for isolation, and stickiness for holding stuff in place! (A bit like WD 40 of the tape world !!)

And, I would love a reBlow to this latest spec, especially as you're doing the braking thing on F1.

What's the best way to get this, should I PM you?

Regards,

Alan.

Hi Andrew and all,

Don't think of yourself as the only numpty on the planet,

In preparation for getting a re-blow for one or more of my 08's from Paul, plus trying to light up a ViTtrains 37's cabs, I purchased an ESU 51900 Decoder Tester from that shop in Lincoln, (others are available...) which arrived yesterday.

Full of enthusiasm I wired it to the DCC track, and took the Zimo MX645R out of my Vi 37 and proceeded to try out if I could make Cab lights work on F01 and F02.

Had some success following earlier instructions from Paul for a Heljan 127 MPV, and got the little LED on the tester to light up for Cab 1 on F01, when in forward, and (magically) to extinguish when the loco moves, - Brill!

However, I could not repeat the success with Cab 2 on F02 in reverse no matter what I tried, and after several hours, was about to give up and admit to Paul that I had not fully grasped his earlier lessons, when I did what every good student should do, and RTFM. (Refer To F...... Manual)

- Opened the tin from Rail Exclusive to study the pin-outs for an eight-pin decoder, and then it suddenly struck me, THERE IS A BROWN WIRE for Function 2 !

Wired an LED to that, and hey presto! it works....

Regards,

The Other Numpty

AKA, Alan

• 3 months later...

Hi Paul.

I just bought your 08 sounds from Digitrains and installed in a Hornby 08 with a sugar cube speaker. It needs more bass and some tweaking yet but overall I like it a lot.

Back in 1999, I had to kill a little time at Doncaster station, so did a little amateur videoing. It was my first video camera and this was very early days for my skills, so the camera work is a bit shaky, not helped by being hand-held while zooming in a rather brisk, chilly wind.

I filmed quite a few trains but the one that caught my interest was the 08 on a works train. When accelerating, it made the most aweful squeaking and shrieking noises, as well as the traction motor whine. I can only surmise that the torque of the motors was twisting the frames slightly causing something to rub, as the sounds subside once it stops accelerating. These sounds are missing from your sound project!! ;) ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv4JQTcjP0Q&feature=youtu.be

Hi Jeff,

Sorry, only just found your post. 

I am pleased you like the Class 08 sound project. I've recorded two more 08s and a Class 09GTi recently so I will be creating alternative projects for those people with a stable of 08s, engine sounds will vary but all will have ProtoDrive (ActiveDrive from Digitrains) features.

You can usually get a pair of cube speakers in a Hornby Class 08, twice the vibrating area and 4 ohms when in parallel gives a nice output.

I thought the 08 in your video sounded like the knife scene from Psycho. I think the ones I've recorded had all been well oiled.

Kind regards,

Paul

Ha ha, yes! Psycho sounds ... a psycho 08, just the thing for those long, dark, chilly Winter nights!!  :D   :jester: 

I have one sugar cube speaker fitted at the moment but I am uncertain whether it is a 4 ohm or 8 ohm so not game to wire a second one in. I may have to buy a matched pair of 4 ohm speakers specially for this job.

I'm currently building a layout based on Boston docks where they had both an 03 & 08 shunter at various times.

For my layout I'm running the 03 & 08 permanently coupled. The 03 is powered (and fitted with a High levels chassis) whereas the 08 (a Bachmann model) is unpowered and has had the motor and drive gear removed. This has yielded space for a standard sized decoder and base reflex speaker.

Some time ago Paul did a special decoder for me with both 03 & 08 sounds on it, either sound being selectable by changing the value of CV265. More recently Paul has installed his latest 08 sounds and coupled with the base reflex speaker it sounds awesome!

I cannot thank Paul enough for the help he has given me with this project.

Ha ha, yes! Psycho sounds ... a psycho 08, just the thing for those long, dark, chilly Winter nights!!   :D   :jester: 

I have one sugar cube speaker fitted at the moment but I am uncertain whether it is a 4 ohm or 8 ohm so not game to wire a second one in. I may have to buy a matched pair of 4 ohm speakers specially for this job.

I'm pretty sure that all ZIMO cube speakers are 8 ohms which is what you will need for a matched pair wired in parallel to give 4ohms. 2 x 4 ohms of any type of speaker would have to be wired in series givind 8 ohms overall.

Which decoder did you fit? The miniature decoders require a minimum 8 ohms loading.

Kind regards,

Paul

I'm currently building a layout based on Boston docks where they had both an 03 & 08 shunter at various times.

For my layout I'm running the 03 & 08 permanently coupled. The 03 is powered (and fitted with a High levels chassis) whereas the 08 (a Bachmann model) is unpowered and has had the motor and drive gear removed. This has yielded space for a standard sized decoder and base reflex speaker.

Some time ago Paul did a special decoder for me with both 03 & 08 sounds on it, either sound being selectable by changing the value of CV265. More recently Paul has installed his latest 08 sounds and coupled with the base reflex speaker it sounds awesome!

I cannot thank Paul enough for the help he has given me with this project.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your kind words of appreciation. I was glad to help.

Do you have a video of the pair running with the latest Class 08 sounds? I'd be interested to see it in action.

Which of the sounds do you use more often? Class 03 or Class 08?

Kind regards,

Paul

I'm pretty sure that all ZIMO cube speakers are 8 ohms which is what you will need for a matched pair wired in parallel to give 4ohms. 2 x 4 ohms of any type of speaker would have to be wired in series givind 8 ohms overall.

Which decoder did you fit? The miniature decoders require a minimum 8 ohms loading.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul. Yes, of course. That's what I meant (slight brain fade!): 2 x 8 ohm speakers. I only have the one in stock (used on the 08) but don't know what it is for sure. Most probably an 8 ohm one but there don't seem to be any markings on it.

I used the "standard" sized MX644 21-pin decoder - this 08 was already fitted with the ESU LokSound 21-pin decoder so it was a straight swap - the speaker had to be changed as it was a v3.5 with a 100 ohm speaker fitted.

Archived