Lost Wax Brass - How to Blacken it?

CME and Bottlewasher

Hi All,

Please excuse my ignorance, I need to blacken a few Lost Wax Brass (LWB) items (Vac hoses and the like) and I would like to know what is the best product to use?

Up until now I have used etched primer and the like as an over all coating for an entire model (ie multi-media kits) and that's been fine, but using my 'ten minutes here and ten minutes there' modelling strategy (ie when life doesnt allow much time for model-making) I am replacing some white-metal vac pipes and the like and doing the odd bit of fettling so as to finish one or two vehicles off ready for Down Ampney and layout usage.

I know that there are things out there like Gun-Blue and Carrs et al make various products to coat normal brass and NS et al, in the USA (so not financially viable to import) there are even 'safe for user' and environmentally friendly Gun Blues etc, but I know that some of these products wont adhere to Lost Wax Brass.

I see that there are a fair few Posts on RMW re 'blackening' various metals, yet it would be good to hear of the best product for LWB from those who have tried it, ie an easy tried and tested method.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Kindest regards,

CME

http://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=BLACKING

i i know im a newbie to railway modelling but i used this , works great and good price to. And works very quickly

Hi Derbys65, :)

Many thanks, newbie or not, such things, like status matter little, sometimes an enquiring mind and a fresh pair of eyes pay dividends :yes: 

I have few of GJH and Hobby Holidays' useful products and when at Bristol I nearly picked up a bottle of their Blackening but they were so busy there was little chance to seek advice and buy some - doh! :mosking:

May I ask - have you tried it on LWB specifically (it seems to treat most metals)?

With many thanks,

CME :)

• RMweb Premium

One of my friends uses tincture of iodine. I tried it once and it seemed to work, although possibly a bit on the rusty side. Try it on a coupling first.

One of my friends uses tincture of iodine. I tried it once and it seemed to work, although possibly a bit on the rusty side. Try it on a coupling first.

Hi BR60103,

That's interesting (as Iodine is an antiseptic) - as long as its not from Chernobyl - I will give it a try if its still available, but I would have thought it would work better on steel as opposed to LWB though?

ATVB

CME

• RMweb Gold

I have successfully blackened brass etched parts and brass chain with Nickerson's Professional Cold Blue which I purchased from a hunting supplies shop.  I'm afraid I cannot help with LWB specifically though.

I have successfully blackened brass etched parts and brass chain with Nickerson's Professional Cold Blue which I purchased from a hunting supplies shop.  I'm afraid I cannot help with LWB specifically though.

Hi Teaky, :)

Many thanks.

Gun Blue is okay on etch - but I didnt want to have to experiment with LWB :)

Im sure someone must have a tried and tested method for LWB - perhaps it is the same as brass etch?

Kindest,

CME :)

Archived