Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann class 66 vs Hornby class 92

aliob88

Probably, yes.  I've never looked at a 92, but I assume as a much older model design, it uses a simple motor, and is a relatively lightweight model.  The 66 uses a centrally mounted can motor, in a heavy metal chassis casting, and is geared to run at prototypical speeds.

• RMweb Premium

Many old locos (especially Hornby) are grossly overgeared with locos reaching scale speeds well in excess of what they would have in real life.

This is possibly a hangover from Tri-ang days, when all trains seemed to race around!

The old XO4 motor in a steam outline loco with just 20:1 gearing was pretty fast!

e.g 100mph tank engines, 80mph goods locos etc. (Ignore 9F please!)+

Todays models are generally more in keeping with the real thing. e.g Hornby 42XX tank goes about 40mph scale speed.

My Bachmann class 47 does about a scale 80 mph (central motor, 12 wheel drive, heavy chassis)

Keith

Archived