The Great Australian Outdoors

robertc

I received my roof fans for the two 42 class bodies today.

Thankfully I guessed right on the ones to order.  Whew!

Having the sewerage block up this morning was enough excitement without getting the wrong fans  :>)

P1010212.JPG.faf5386eefca16f9b615af68bb5795b2.JPG

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 1

Today was roof detailing day.

Rule 1.... don't follow details on Lima HO model.

Anyhow story goes.. finish roofs, find I am an idiot, remove all wrong detail, add correct detail !

Have a strong cup of coffee at end of day.

P1010213.JPG.2d94dd8b210fa0069695bf98cfad500d.JPG

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc

If this summer weather keeps up I'll have to go outside and start gardening :>)

From -1 to 16 in two days overnight minimums and mid summer maximums for the first two days of spring. Amazing!

There has been a lot of work adding small details to the two 42 class bodies.Hard to see where the hours went and still more to go.

Some front handrails and rear ladders will go back on when decals have been applied.

P1010215.JPG.d58c575cc25387d74e54ba6929f5fa03.JPG

Top of the rear doors filed flat after looking at the photo  :>)

cheers

bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 3

Plenty of painting now to go.

My shaky hands really make this bit interesting  :>)

So far 5 different brands of paint have been used. I need to thin out the collection of bottles so these pair are being used as part of that process.

P1010222.JPG.d986db7aac7f55f375b5b9ed9798e7fd.JPG

The wiskers will be decals.

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 3

A few coats of yellow and the basic idea takes shape.

P1010304.JPG.acf75f3070df5dc501c5fdc12456941d.JPG

You can get an idea of the range of paint manufacturers represented in these models too  :>)

Unlike using petrochemical solvent based paints I can spray and brush without a care that it is high humidity at the moment.

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 2

Thought I should pop in and say hello.  :scratchhead: 

I really like how that Atlas body has been transformed to a 42. Making me think about doing the same - only in blue and gold.  :D 
I also noticed the old brass 44 class. I had a pair of these years ago and thought about making SAR 930s out of them - but the 1:43 scale was too noticeable against my 1:48 VR models. So I sold them. The other thing that bugged me was the shape of the windscreens. Looked like they were crudely drilled out with no attempt to file them out to the correct shape. I drew the correct shape on one of mine, ready to file it out, but it found a new home before I got around to that. 

Darren.

gallery_32752_4359_98774.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, definitely the same ones. I don't recall how I ended up with them. But I must've sold one of them fairly quickly as I don't have photos of it. The second one hung around for several years before I decided that the scale was going to bother me, no matter what I did with it. I had two 1:48 VR B class kits at the time too.

I'd have sold the other 44 body (pictured) along with cast brass bogie sideframes and other accessories on eBay a little over 10 years ago.

Darren, the only option for a 1:48 930 might have to be a total scratchbuild.

I have never looked at it seriously but I suspect doing a cut and shut on an FA body to make a 44/930 would be a lot more complicated than the 42/S/GM one. I can't remember any being done in HO or N to give a clue to the issues.

I suspect the demand for a 930 in the appropriate scale would not be enough to justify an Asian brass version.

One advantage of working in S scale was I never had a scale issue, it was all 1:64 with modellers I conversed with in many countries. 

cheers

Bob

Hi Chris, did you go to Liverpool?

Thanks for the look inside the body. It gives me a better idea of how I might tackle this sort of conversion if I ever manage to acquire the right body shell. Funnily enough, I did something very similar with regards to the long pieces of styrene on the body of my SHG Guards Van for mounting the chassis.

The mechs for the 42's are being built in between all the other happenings lately.

There has been some thought from certain quarters that my workbench is either always tidy or has been photoshopped.

Just to dispel that rumour :>)

P1010336.JPG.2fdc11f44de4ce0cfa5272f52b0492c5.JPG

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There has been some thought from certain quarters that my workbench is either always tidy or has been photoshopped.

Just to dispel that rumour :>)

Well it's deffo tidier than mine!

• 2 weeks later...

It is sometimes pointed out to me that my decision not to go battery powered radio control (BPRC) outdoors means I will still be stuck with endless cleaning of track and wheels.
Well maybe yesterdays running session demonstrates the reason I stuck with track powered DCC.
The trains have not been run for some time and we have had plenty of downpours in the interim. While I am lucky I don't live near a coal fired power station or the ocean I am surrounded by plenty of household wood heaters and apart from a couple of days at the start of spring where it reached 30C here, the wood heaters have been belching out smoke on a regular basis since. So there is plenty of crap deposited on the rails outdoors.
I first ran my railmotor out of the garage and it was obviously not a happy chappie, starting and stopping and wanting a push every few feet. So did I grab it and rush back inside to scrub the wheels clean and return to polish the layouts rails taking a good deal of time and expending sweat in the process?
NO, I grabbed my bottle of powdered graphite mixed with kerosene and a brush and painted a foot (30cm) of track, ran the railmotor through it and from then on the railmotor behaved as reliably as normal.
The railmotor is very light by O gauge standards and the other train I set to running was pulled by a diesel that might weigh more than twice as much as the railmotor.
It rolled around at a crawl for a while without a hiccup before I sped it up to a speed I thought appropriate and laid back in the sun to watch the pair perform for an hour or so.

Here is the CPH

1450036026_cphatstation2.JPG.c92fdac9e543517092d333aff7469e63.JPG

So while not as perfect as BPRC I do still think it is reliable enough to suit me at this stage.

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Today Rohan Fergusson normally known for his superb NSW HO modelling turned up with 4472 in 7mm.

Imagine my disappointment when I found a British steam engine instead of a NSWGR ALCo!   :>)

The first hour was spent fixing intermittent shorts between brake gear, wheels and siderods on loco and tender.

Then after an oiling session which improved the running immensely I managed to find an old H&M controller to run it. I was worried it had a coreless motor and a run on address 0 on my layout might overheat it.

We then found the tender objecting to my generous curves and humps and hollows. But finally managed a few circuits so he could see it run ( wrong road in the end).

A very short video can be seen here.

http://trainsinshed.blogspot.com.au/

cheers

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today my NSWGR 40 class is deemed finished ( for the moment) and will now go into service.

post-5543-0-57493300-1511321726.jpg

Here it is seen on a test run just passing the points at Nine Yard Junction.

A welcoming ceremony for this and the recent 44 class will be held one afternoon with friends. :>)

cheers

Bob

• Like 7