RMweb

Glasgow George Square

taybridge

Two Mk1s (one second, one second/brake) acquired today for conversion to SeaLink... ;)

Both coaches dismantled, roofs masked off, and the sides are ready for their base of white, which I am going to get cracking on with!

Finished the white base coat for SeaLink coaches #2 and #3...

Next step (later this week) will be to mask around the window band and spray the red window band.

Very helpful pics Taybridge. Are those Bachmann MK1s?

I have 4 of the lima Sealink coaches, and always wanted more for a rake of 8 - 10.

Might have to go down the respray path myself.

Cheers

Jeff (of Adelaide)

Very helpful pics Taybridge. Are those Bachmann MK1s?

I have 4 of the lima Sealink coaches, and always wanted more for a rake of 8 - 10.

Might have to go down the respray path myself.

Cheers

Jeff (of Adelaide)

Yes, Bachmann Mk1s, so worth the effort of respraying!

I've completed the red stripe on SeaLink coaches #2 and #3, blue stripes still to go...

post-6913-127088936919_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They are looking awesome, Do you think just as you finish, Model Rail or another place will make some ltd editon models of the sealink coaches.

Gary

Hah hah probably Gary! But I don't really care now. Getting a good sense of achievement with these, and feeling the results are improving each time. What next I wonder? I have started to trawl the Internet looking for images of Scottish oddities like the coffee been DMU, or the DMU driver unit that was converted to a "panorama" car. Maybe one of my 101 driver units will re-appear in white/blue stripe????

Doug.

When your talking about odd liveries, Was there not a starlight express stock which used to run between Glasgow and Euston, Not sure besides the blue interior lights what difference it had??

Gary

Hmmm if that's the sitting up overnight service using first class stock (Mk2d??) then it's probably simply blue/grey on the outer.

I remember getting one a couple of times and it looked lovely and dim on the inside when getting on the train, but after half an hour it still seemed awfully bright inside and not conducive to sleep. Sunnies needed! B)

Nonetheless I will investigate just in case...

Looking good so far, very inspiring stuff.

Just ordered 8 Bachmann Mk1s for respray.

Two thoughts though,

Did you end up mixing a lighter shade of the red?

Were the window frames easy to paint?

Cheers

Jeff

Looking good so far, very inspiring stuff.

Just ordered 8 Bachmann Mk1s for respray.

Two thoughts though,

Did you end up mixing a lighter shade of the red?

Were the window frames easy to paint?

Cheers

Jeff

I didn't end up using a more orangey red (for consistency with coach #1, and I've not mixed my own colours yet).

I highly recommend you do that though.

Pop the windows out for spraying obviously, and the only parts of the windows to paint are the opening bits at the top. Easy with a very thin brush, good light and a steady hand. Only took me 15 minutes for 2 coaches' windows.

Doug.

They look very good are the other colours airbrushed on or are they decal as the look very good? Pete

Hi Pete, airbrushed one after the other, zero decals used thus far, though I will need some for the BR symbols and SeaLink signs etc.

The white diagonal stripe are was masked off in addition to the red window stripe area and roof. Then light blue airbrush first, covering the whole area of the blue stripes. Then mask off the light blue stripe area and spray mid blue for the mid blue and dark blue area. Mask off the mid blue stripe area then spray dark blue on what's left. I used a ruler to measure where each stripe edge should be and marked it at a few points along the length of the coach side to ensure the masking tape was in the right place. Came out a treat!

Doug.

This and Edinburgh waverley are 2 of my faves on here as there is lots of detailing and stuff on how you do it! Great work keep it up! when i saw it was called george square it confused me LOL! then reading through it, you had based it on Queen Street! i should have known as i go up to Scotland once a month for 2 weeks or so! If your ever up there Past times on Maryhill Road has some very cheap model rail stock in there! airfix coaches Hornby ones even Scotrail stuff as well!!

This and Edinburgh waverley are 2 of my faves on here as there is lots of detailing and stuff on how you do it! Great work keep it up! when i saw it was called george square it confused me LOL! then reading through it, you had based it on Queen Street! i should have known as i go up to Scotland once a month for 2 weeks or so! If your ever up there Past times on Maryhill Road has some very cheap model rail stock in there! airfix coaches Hornby ones even Scotrail stuff as well!!

Thanks Ian, not quite to the standard of Waverley I fear! Mind you, I still have a lot to do ;) I have tried to pull together a photo record of the development of the layout from the first track laying. Have you seen the Gallery? It's all there, 237 photos, right back to the beginning, which was just over a year ago I think. Gosh, so much has happened since then, and yet not enough!

Past Times on Maryhill Road seems like an interesting place. Unfortunately Glasgow George Square and I live in Melbourne, so it's a bit far. Maybe one day... or perhaps I can send my brother in for a recce :rolleyes:

Doug.

• RMweb Gold

Completed painting of the 3 x Sealink coaches, with underframes, roofs, sole bars and ends all muckied up a bit. Just got to order some transfers now...

Doug.

If my painting looked half as good as yours, especially with such a complex livery, I'd be well pleased! Lovely job!

If my painting looked half as good as yours, especially with such a complex livery, I'd be well pleased! Lovely job!

Thanks, I am very happy with it.. but I've also seen Waverley's lovely new coaches with the roof ribs sanded down and the passengers inside, so a higher standard next time!

Mind you, I've had a lot of fun doing these ones :)

I do like your Sealink coaches, every garish bit of them :lol: Perfect behind a 27 on a Glasgow George Sq - Stranraer run.

Seriously though, if you're contemplating the roof ribs, 10min each with a curved scalpel blade, no need to be over-careful, just scrape 'em away. Takes longer in fact to brush-repaint the roof.

I couldn't bear the thought of doing it myself, but once I gave it a go it turned out to be a piece of cake.

Hi

Ended up at your pages because your coach pictures at top of main page.

A quick search at Fox transfers shows that they do two sizes of "SeaLink" lettering.  I've no idea though why there are two sizes or which one used when!

I've three lots of colour pics torn from mags:

May 1987 Rail.  16/0/86 Blackpool - Glasgow at Greenholme on WCML.

Dec 1984 Rail.  Double page spread with three pics taken 18/07/84 on Glasgow - Stranraer trains.

Jun 1985 Modern Railways.  Single pic on 24/04/84 at Pinwherry of a Glasgow - Stranraer (full brake at front in blue/grey).

The Modern Railways one is probably a random acquistion - didn't subscribe, but the Rail ones might be about all the colour ones they published.  There might have been B&W ones or other info but when disassembling my copies I wouldn't have been interested enough to keep that sort of thing - sorry.

If you are not already aware of it the scot-rail forum type thing (http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/HomePage) might have someone who could give you more info - coach numbers etc.

Hope this is a wee bit of help.

Cheers,

26power.

Hope this is a wee bit of help.

Cheers,

26power.

Thanks - not many photos online. I emailed about the sizes of the Silver Fox transfers and received a prompt reply. Now I know how big they are, and I can check that against the photos I've seen online. Don't know why there are two sizes though!

Doug.