HST intercity 125 power car

If they go from one depot / shed to another depot / shed they normally have a Barrier coach attached

post-9437-0-09854300-1428430735_thumb.jpg

post-9437-0-08603300-1428430738_thumb.jpg

If on the Depot they can operate on their own like this one at Neville Hill in Leeds

post-9437-0-64973200-1428430742_thumb.jpg

They rarely move them solo because from an operational point of view it's a pain if they fail; on the odd occasion they do move them solo, but generally they'll move them back to back in pairs. Reasons for moving them could be because they need a spare powercar else where or it could be because the power car needs to be moved to a depot with appropriate facilities for certain types of maintenance (wheel lathe, heavy maintenance shed etc). They could also be returning from an overhaul or repaint somewhere.

Running a pair back to back is very prototypical, a solo power car is less prototypical but does on rare occasions happen.

There was an incident in Cornwall where a HST derailed and they moved the passengers to safety in the van space of a lone power car. See here for more: http://www.luxsoft.demon.co.uk/village/hst.html

All the best,

Jack

If they go from one depot / shed to another depot / shed they normally have a Barrier coach attached

attachicon.gif2013-07-03_62.JPG

attachicon.gif2013-07-03_63.JPG

If on the Depot they can operate on their own like this one at Neville Hill in Leeds

attachicon.gif2013-07-06_305.JPG

Bristol to Laira they were used as a loco but also with the barrier coach.

post-4474-0-87819800-1428431676_thumb.jpg

They run (or used to run) light without a barrier coach from Craigentinny depot in Edinburgh to Waverly for power car swaps there. As they can only run pointy end first, for swapping a London end PC they ran (run) all the way around the suburban loop and approached Waverly from the other side. For the north end PC, straight up the main line. The only slab-end 1st running is when shunting on to the set.

I have photos somewhere of a London end PC swap in the GNER era. The removed PC then ran light to Craigentinny without barrier.

HTH. Reading the previous posts, it would seem that as usual there's a prototype for everything!

On a couple of occasions in 91/92 I did spot an unaccompanied HST power car run eastwards through Slough, it seems inconceivable it could have run the entire way from Bristol or South Wales in this fashion yet I cannot think of anywhere closer it might have started. (Unless Reading had a wheel lathe with capacity to spare, and I think that's too much of a stretch)

And if you watch this short clip of video,

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/duz5ulcffbr2mo9/1993_59+47_rg.mp4

and can drag yourself away from the trance-like state induced from passing ARC hopper wagons, you will notice an HST power car towed by a 47 with barrier coach.

That short video not shown by blank but still loading ? I would like see that

• RMweb Gold

There's a picture on page 12 of John Vaughn's "The Rise and Fall of British Railways: Main Line Diesel Locomotives" (Haynes 2011 ISBN 978 1 84425 690 7).  According to the caption, it shows a "light engine" 43 089 completely on its own passing Chesterfield in February 1987.

Quite by co-incidence, I have this out on loan from the library at the moment.

ZG.

That short video not shown by blank but still loading ? I would like see that

The video works for me using that link. And the file stats say that it has been downloaded a number of times.

I can only think that the settings on the device you are using to watch the clip are not configured to display mp4 files, or something similar.

Normally require barrier vehicle or another power car as Mk 3 coupling are not capable of coupling with other buckeye's therefore need some way of being coupled( Just in case) 

Power cars can of course use the bar whichever way round.

Have seen 3 PC's and a barrier as well.

There's a video on YouTube somewhere which shows three Class 43 power cars on one end of a HST - so one normal set, then a power car connected nose to nose of the leading power car and then a nose first power car. The set was in service I think? Presumably the other pair had somewhere to be

There's a video on YouTube somewhere which shows three Class 43 power cars on one end of a HST - so one normal set, then a power car connected nose to nose of the leading power car and then a nose first power car. The set was in service I think? Presumably the other pair had somewhere to be

Or they could be rescuing a failed set? I think it's not unheard of down Exeter way. I've certainly seen photos of a pair of PCs on the penzance sleeper vice a 57 for a similar reason.

Mark

Archived