7 mm soldered track

hayfield

Looking at the sizes of metal to be joined I'd look for ~80W. You could probably get away with a fair bit less but I like to have a good reserve of capacity in any tool. Weller do a decent 80W iron for not too much money. It has the advantage that the bit is 3/8" OD so it's easy to file up custom tips from suitably sized copper rod.

Hi John

I have successfully soldered code 200 rail with a 25 watt soldering iron and a 3mm chisel bit.

The important thing is to be able to get enough heat into the job - the size of the bit becomes important just as much as the wattage of the iron.

Be careful, however, not to overheat the copperclad as it may then delaminate and have to be scrapped.

The choice of solder is another factor.  Use good old tin/lead solder with cored flux - it is readily available retail from the likes of Wilkinsons and from electrical suppliers such as Rapid and CPC.

Regards.

Thanks bill and Ray, I do have a 25 watt iron with a 5 mm chisel bit. I use  old fashioned lead solder with plenty of liquid flux. I do take on board the size of tips

Need a second iron, so looking perhaps for something a bit stronger, and use a higher melting point solder for some other kit building jobs (Hane an 0 gauge Slaters loco to build)

Archived