RMweb

Bachmann Farish Class 20 - How do I get the body off? (Was: Interesting Problem!)

• RMweb Premium

Just starting to build up my fleet in my new N gauge project and at the Ally Pally show added from the Bachmann returns scrum a BR rail blue with head code box Class 20 to add to the one I already had.

This evening I decided to put the two together and get them running.  I duly coupled them up, applied the power and then watched with jaw dropped as they set off in completely opposite directions!!!

I am presuming at this point that the returns one has at some point been wired the wrong way round?  Before I take the body off and probably break it can anyone give me some pointers to what I need to alter to remedy this silly fault please?

TIA!

• RMweb Premium

Well, as these locos have circuit boards that carry the power to the motor, via PB fingers that press on the brush terminals, the only thought that I have is that at some stage the motor has been put into the chassis the wrong way around, perhaps when it was produced at the factory, and will need to be reversed by dismantling the chassis.

Maybe this is why it was in the returns pile in the first place.........

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know how to get the body off?  I have removed the four screws on the underside at each corner, the nose end lifts up, the cab has come off but the rest of it will not detach.

Just tried looking at the GF website for the service sheet but it is not available.

TIA!

Does anyone know how to get the body off?  I have removed the four screws on the underside at each corner, the nose end lifts up, the cab has come off but the rest of it will not detach.

Just tried looking at the GF website for the service sheet but it is not available.

TIA!

If it's the latest tool model it's likely the DCC blanking plug is in upside down on one of them. You don't need to remove the body to get at it - the cab unclips to reveal it. Check which loco runs correctly as compared your others and take the cab off the other one, invert the DCC plug and it should solve the problem.

HTH,

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Problem solved! The DCC blanking plug was the other way round in the offending loco! Now all I need to do is sort out the missing buffer head that in all this has gone AWOL.

Arrrrgggghhhhh!!!!

Archived