Fitting Kadee Couplers

jcredfer

Hi,

I have fitted a number of Kadee Couplers.  At the moment these are limited to various lengths of the NEM Pocket type.

I thought they would be easy to fit, but even here there were small matters to be addressed, like sloppy fitting in the NEM Pocket, different heights [mainly Bachmann]

I now come to the rolling stock which is not NEM Pocket fitted.

I thought a little gentle application of some Kadees to a Bachmann "Local Suburban" set might not draw too much attention of the management   ...........   Ssshhh 'though  .....

I started by looking at the “Local Suburban Set” coaches [Collett Corridor] and find they have a narrow Tension Lock, attached to the Bogies [marked 3023E, if that has any meaning].  The attachment is through a bar, screwed to a moulded plate, in the centre with 2 location pegs outboard.  Looking at the height where the Kadee box would be screwed, it seems that the only possible fit might come from Underset Shank Couplers. 

The "attachment plate" front edge is slightly beyond the end of the coach chassis, suggesting the Short [144 Whisker set, or 24 Normal set] Given the Buffers are not sprung the Medium length ones might also be worth a look [147 Whisker, or 27 Normal].  Not sure which of these will sit high enough, if at all.  I would imagine that a set of Short and a set of Normal would allow for experiment.  I am not sure if there is a variety of Boxes to fit them in, nor if any of the boxes will sit higher than others.

The 56xx loco, from the Set, has pockets, which are standard low Bachmann Pocket ones, for which it looks like, there is no Kadee suited.  They are so low it may be suitable to glue another pocket on top of it and fit a 362 coupler??  Have anyone come across any reasonable answer to this one either?

Does anyone have any information about what Kadee couplers might be best from what is available and how to fit them.

Regards and thank you for your time.

Julian

• RMweb Gold

I realise you're asking about Kadee's but if your sets are likely to be semi-permanently coupled it might be worth investigating Bachman DMU couplings between coaches.  See discussion last week where I responded to Silver Sidelines thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/880/entry-15937-%E2%80%98b%E2%80%99-set-couplings-and-colours/

Hi MetrOLand,

I was, as you say, looking at Kadee Couplers all round, but I read your ideas with interest.  The layout is intended to be put away quite frequently, but that doesn't negate any of what you say about couplings in the middle of rakes.  Your ideas will remain a possible option, many thanks for the link which may also be of use to other readers too.

Julian

• RMweb Premium

This document gives mounting dimensions for the HO Kadees.http://www.kadee.com/html/kadee_catalog_small.pdf#page=9

There are little problems with NEM mounts. I sometimes have to shim between the pocket and the coupling tail.

There is no easy solution for the cars where the NEM mount is not at standard height.

Cars where the tension lock is screwed or riveted on can have an NEM mounted in its place; drill a hole in the coupler shank.

Watch out for superdetails dangling from the buffer beam.

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have a height gauge.  It certainly shows up levelling issues very clearly.     :sungum:

Julian,

I assume as a starting point you have the Kadee height gauge?  I use Kadees universally and have found it to be indispensable for assisting in reliable fault-free operation.

John Fitton

any ideas about the Bachmann mk 1 Collett corridor coaches?  .....    strange shape for the bit the Tension Locks attach too   ......    :scratchhead:

Edit - forgot manners - being busy transporting kids to 3 x activities and cooking for the family is NO excuse  .....    :nono:  :nono:

I picked up a Kadee trial box a while ago for about 25 pounds, it contains many different types of kadee nuckle couplers, different lengths, different offsets, different mounts and boxes, it also contains springs, washers, uncoupling magnets, hight gauge and grease.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know about the Colet coaches but if ey are anything like the MK 1s then I use the longest NEM available (21s?) then drill a hole in the NEM arm and mount under the wrongly situated (height wise) NEM box. Add a bit of superglue to stop them rotating.

Archived