The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Gloucester Railway Station

Hi

I was wondering whether anyone could help me.

I am planning a future project to model Gloucester Railway Station as it is in the modern era (More specifically just the station area up to barton level crossing gates around 2008 - 2010 so I could add in Cotswold Rail for a bit of interest :imsohappy: ) I live in the area so am trying to gain as many photos as possible, but if anyone has any of the following on Gloucester station it would be a great help as when I am able to start the project most of the information i need is in one place!

1. Photo's and videos of the station

2. Memories of someone visiting the station

3. Typical formations of freight and passenger stock that would run through the station

4. Any other information you think would help.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I see no-one has responded which is a pity.

I have known Gloucester Station(s) since 1973 when there was also Gloucester Eastgate. I think you have to go back to 1950-1970 for it to have been an interesting sort of place. Certainly for the period you are considering it has always been pretty ordinary with modern buildings, and being on the point of a triangle many trains just pass it by, and those that come into the station either depart for small rural places or go back out the way they came in to return to the main line. I travelled up to Birmingham new Street from Gloucester for about 5 years - easy to leave in the morning but terrible to return in the evening - the 5.30 pm train left early every day and the next train (6.30 pm) was always one to two hours late. Gave up in the end and travelled by car. The station surroundings are drab with little of interest near the railway.

Here is one photo taken about 1980 with City of Truro at Gloucester - I have lots more of City of Truro but excluded the station environment. In my opinion an odd choice to model.

Trains%2010_zpsnjyuuqkp.jpg

I see no-one has responded which is a pity.

I have known Gloucester Station(s) since 1973 when there was also Gloucester Eastgate. I think you have to go back to 1950-1970 for it to have been an interesting sort of place. Certainly for the period you are considering it has always been pretty ordinary with modern buildings, and being on the point of a triangle many trains just pass it by, and those that come into the station either depart for small rural places or go back out the way they came in to return to the main line. I travelled up to Birmingham new Street from Gloucester for about 5 years - easy to leave in the morning but terrible to return in the evening - the 5.30 pm train left early every day and the next train (6.30 pm) was always one to two hours late. Gave up in the end and travelled by car. The station surroundings are drab with little of interest near the railway.

Here is one photo taken about 1980 with City of Truro at Gloucester - I have lots more of City of Truro but excluded the station environment. In my opinion an odd choice to model.

Trains%2010_zpsnjyuuqkp.jpg

Hi

Thanks for the info, the picture and for responding!

As for my choice of station, living here I know what you mean about the drab surroundings, however the derelict horton road depot makes it a bit more interesting for me. With the dean forest just further up the rails quite often a heritage loco goes past on the way to some sort of gala and even a southern unit goes by occasionally! DB shenker (or EWS at the time) use the route quite extensively especially for fuel trains, and with DCR starting up recently this has increased the freight traffic variety along with colas (again, usually visiting the DFR), Freightliner and DRS using the route for various reasons a few times a day. That was also my reason for adding in cotswold rail, to provide shunting operations around the old horton depot site as they used to quite extensively at one point. As for passenger operations, I share your view that they are a bit bare. Mainly FGW with a HST, DMU or pacer, but often there are Arriva Trains Wales and Cross Country services as well. They did start using the bay a bit in the late 2000's again, most recently for a FGW tour to the DFR again!

My research and own knowledge so far, summed up in a few words! I had to think long and hard about how to actually make it a bit interesting!

Thanks again

Birch1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Blimey your taking me back now...

The glory days (moden image of course) would be the mid to late 80s horton road was in its prime and loco changes or run arounds were all over the shot, 31s 45s 47s 50s and HSTs on the passenger trains and 37s and 56s on freight, DMUs on the swindon and cheltenham locals horton road you could have anything on there, look for phots on the web by N.E Preedy, could be one hell of a layout gloucester and horton road on one side and then the railway triangle which had extensive fiddle yards and the gloucester avoider to the south....but as mentioned already.....given gloucester is the longest platform in great britain your going to need a lot of room :)

Gloucester itself in terms of layout really hasnt changed much over the years and the centre roads to this day are still bullhead rail with wooden sleepers!

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey your taking me back now...

The glory days (moden image of course) would be the mid to late 80s horton road was in its prime and loco changes or run arounds were all over the shot, 31s 45s 47s 50s and HSTs on the passenger trains and 37s and 56s on freight, DMUs on the swindon and cheltenham locals horton road you could have anything on there, look for phots on the web by N.E Preedy, could be one hell of a layout gloucester and horton road on one side and then the railway triangle which had extensive fiddle yards and the gloucester avoider to the south....but as mentioned already.....given gloucester is the longest platform in great britain your going to need a lot of room :)

Gloucester itself in terms of layout really hasnt changed much over the years and the centre roads to this day are still bullhead rail with wooden sleepers!

Hi

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the information! Gloucester would certainly need a lot of room :/ ! Anyway, I was hoping not to but I think I will have to sacrifice the triangle to focus on the station and Horton road depot. In the modern era it is basically derelict and Cotswold rail as far as I can find out seem to be very active on Horton Road Depot! Very interesting with the bullhead rail, I should try to include that in such a layout.

Thanks 

Birch1

Archived