Modified RTR Challenge Entry: Isle of Wight A1X Terrier

I cannot find the thread with the rules of entry, but I hope that mine makes the cut (pun intended!)

This is a bog-standard Hornby A1x Terrier. Modifications so far include:

- Extending the bunker as per Isle of Wight versions

- Moving the tank fillers to their correct position

- Modifications to the bufferbeams. Essentially, I took them off, glued 1mm square styrene section to the top, sanded them down a little and am hoping that a couple more goes with fine sandpaper and primer (next one will be red oxide) will put them at a more realistic height.

11008542_10153161496066251_3391097267036

The plan is to re-spray it satin black to represent Isle of Wight No. 11 "Newport"

9591124209_c28c19bec6_b.jpg

Jobs still to do:

- Go over bunker with some filler and sandpaper to take out the rather obvious joins.
- remove the sub-footplate front sandboxes
- Obtain suitable decals and name-plates
- Re-spray in Satin black

Some points of "contention"

- I like the red coupling rods, so will keep those.
- Lowering the body will require a replacement motor. Perhaps a bit too much for what was always intended as a "cheap and cheerful" conversion.
- Yes, I forgot to remove the front window glass before hitting it with primer (D'oh!)

- I primarily model 7mm Standard Gauge Australian, NSW prototypes. This means I now have to built an IoW layout!

I want to get at least two Dapol 7mm terriers. One will be to go into the collection of industrial/light-railway locomotives (Peckett E class too!) and one will get hacked up to represent an NSWGR N67 class. The last died out around 1950, but I could imagineer a history where instead of scrapping it was sold-on to another industrial railway like a colliery.

Alan Gibson does a very nice cast brass Westinghouse pump. Branchlines also do the safety valves - theirs are much nice than the thick plastic ones that come with the model.

For the rivets, check out Archer the transfer ones: http://www.archertransfers.com/SurfaceDetailsMain.html

I have a Terrier to do myself at some point (I bought it 10+ years ago). The challenge with the Dapol/Hornby model is finding a prototype A1x with the sandboxes above the footplate. 

Indeed, as far as I am aware there were only 2 or 3 that retained the sandboxes above the footplate after rebuilding as A1x. IoW no. 11 is the only one I could find.

I'm a bit reluctant to take files to a perfectly working chassis to take the extra sandboxes off though.

the way the model has been moulded makes it quite difficult to remove the sanboxes from the splashers

Archived