Forthcoming Bachmann ZRA Van

Nigel N

I see Bachmann are bringing out a Blue & Yellow version of their VDA van as, I believe, a ZRA for the CM&EE.

Does anyone have any photo's of an actual van in this livery, or know when they appeared, and how many??

Thanks

Nigel

post-26008-0-57537700-1430223871.jpg

Yeah, well maybe two off! ;)
I think the images prove that even if the colour is blue (i'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment) it's a fairly rare paint job. But then that's nothing new from the RTR manufacturers! 

Oddly the product number 38-146 appears to be exactly the same as a recent one in dutch grey and yellow!?

• RMweb Premium

Found this pic on flickr of 200654 at Mossend, where I think Paul's phot's were taken, and its definitely grey............

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johndedman/7467442918/in/photolist-kyYj43-q7B7

Sorry but I beg to differ. Looking at the clouds in this picture, it was probably quite overcast and the blue looks darker and greyer as a result. Paul Bartlett's photos are taken in the sun and in those the colour is clearly blue. Based on both photos, I suspect the blue is quite dark, but is blue nevertheless. We will have to wait and see if the colour of the production model looks similarly dark in the flesh.

Yeah, well maybe two off! ;)

I think the images prove that even if the colour is blue (i'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment) it's a fairly rare paint job. But then that's nothing new from the RTR manufacturers!

Oddly the product number 38-146 appears to be exactly the same as a recent one in dutch grey and yellow!?

I don't think they have ever produced the grey and yellow one. I think this is the substitute. The only grey and yellow civil link one that had been produced is the model rail limited edition from a few years back.

After the Bachmann announcement on price rises and new models, the civil link one disappeared and this one took it's place. There was a discussion on another thread at the time. There were another couple of models that had changed livery at the time of the announcement too much to peoples disapproval. I can't remember where it was discussed though. I don't know if model rail mag objected to a rerun of a previous limited edition albeit weathered this time. I don't know why they would replace a sought after and common livery with this nearly unique one.

. I don't know why they would replace a sought after and common livery with this nearly unique one.

Because when we started looking for them, at Bachmanns request, we couldn't find suitable examples. They had done the one we had seen between a number of us.

Whereas there were two (at least) of the blue ones. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brvda/e148507ab http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brvda/e75a008e

Still unconvinced by the model's shade of blue. The prototype appears more of a greeny- blue, almost military blue, judging by the pictures (and my eyesight). It almost looks as if Bachmann have used Mainline freight blue.

• RMweb Premium

I always get excited when seeing a new wagon model in an attractive colour scheme but the trouble is that if you're trying to get your wagon weathered to look like the real life photos where it's inevitably faded and a bit battered, its normally easier to do a complete repaint in the faded/weather-beaten colours than to tone down the RTR colour scheme!

Totally agree  about fading. Many years ago Bachmann did an 08 in faded yellow/blue that looked superb. Just a shame that they don't seem to have repeated such a paint job.

Agreed. There was also an example for the collector's club (08507 IIRC). They have a weathered one in their upcoming products but I can't decide if it has "proper" faded paint or a spray of dirt over the regular blue. I'm leaning towards the latter.

• RMweb Premium

Totally agree  about fading. Many years ago Bachmann did an 08 in faded yellow/blue that looked superb. Just a shame that they don't seem to have repeated such a paint job.

I'm hoping that the current catalogue weathered 08818 in BR blue will be like that. But I imagine it's one thing going to those lengths for a Limited Edition, it might be asking too much for a normal production run.

I would have bought the BCC one but at the time I was moving over to DCC and didn't fancy having to hard wire the decoder. I expected there to be another one along eventually...ha ha ha.

Archived